1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pope Custom Preamps....

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ElBajista, Jun 29, 2007.

1. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    How much would a 3-band custom made Mike Pope preamp resale for if in mint condition?

The model I'm looking at is a 3-band with switchable EQ, passive-style tone, bypass switch, master volume and blend. All wired up and ready to go. I believe this model costs about $475 new, so at 70% (30% off new price) I get $330. Is this a fair price for a used Pope preamp?

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

not familiar with the preamp but I've only seen one preamp sell used for more than about $250 regardless of condition and that was an Alembic Series pre complete that went for a little over a grand on ebay (seems it was like a $6K item new - or something as off the wall). So may seem fair but probably not realistic would be my guess cause you can basically buy anything else for substantially less - including new retail. Usually about half new price is realistic with better condition mostly bringing a faster/surer sale. Something in high demand and short supply would be closer to 2/3s if it's still available new.

But it only takes two guys who can't lose on ebay to run the price of something through the roof. So you never know. I've seen stuff go used for considerably more than you could buy it from virtually any distributor new.

3. Antman3820

Antman3820 Supporting Member

Feb 27, 2005
    Toms River, NJ
    I ordered one for my first Stambaugh........I had to order it from Mike Pope, because at the time, Mike would not sell directly to builders. I ordered :
    Vol - Passive tone - A/P switch - Standby Switch - Treble - Mid1 - Mid2 - Bass.......$600.00.

Getting the Preamp was the only holdup in getting my bass......However, in all fairness to Mike, he was touring and working on some new products, so I completely understood.

Knowing how hard they are to get a hold of, $475 alone doesent seem too bad. If you can get it at $330.00, that would be a great deal.

Have you ever had the chance to play a bass, that has the Pope Pre ??? i.e. Fodera? I tried a Fodera and knew that I liked the sound of the Pre......So I got one in my custom...

Good luck

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 25, 2021