1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pope preamp on my Ken Smith

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Manuel101, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Manuel101

Manuel101

Jul 4, 2010
    I have a Ken Smith BSR6EG and I just got myself a Yamaha TRB JP2. I noticed that the EQ in the JP2 is not that versatile, its also missing the thumpy low end of the JP1 (which i had). I was thinking of buying a Pope flexcore for my smith and then placing the smith pre on my yamaha. Has anybody used a pope pre on a smith? should i just put the pope on my JP2?

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I can't see why you wouldn't just put the Flex Core in the Yamaha.

3. Manuel101

Manuel101

Jul 4, 2010
    Sure, i could do that but i figure since the smith is a much more more high end bass it might be better to install the pope in it, also the smith has a bigger cavity (with space for two batteries). But i am really curious about the smith with a pope pre. I checked the site and there was a thread about it but no one has done it. I think I'll probably be the first one to do it in which case i will upload a video comparing the difference once i install the pope pre.

4. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    What a dliemma to have indeed. Congrats.

5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

What? Take the Smith pre out? That's what gives the Smith it's character! Inconceivable!!

Put the Pope in the Yamaha! That's what I would do or sell the Yamaha for something else. I personally don't dig the Yamaha basses.

6. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    I'd agree. I think the Pope pre is fantastic, but if you like the characteristic sound of the Ken Smith I'd leave it's electronics alone and improve the Yammie instead.

7. bottomzone

bottomzone

Oct 21, 2005
    I concur. If you like the Smith tone, which I assume is why you got it, then leave it alone. The only thing I change on my Smith is the strings!

A Groove is a Terrible Thing to Waste! :cool:

8. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    All you are going to do is devalue your Smith when the eventual sale happens. There is no magic here, and the Smith preamp is as good as anything out there.

9. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    I disagree, the Smith pre (at least the one in the 6 String BT I played in the 90s) is pretty transparent. Mine still sounded like a Smith even with the Preamp bypassed. I think the tone come from the wood and the pickup design and placement.

10. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    And judging by some of the things Ken has said about Pope his bass might reject a Pope preamp like a bad kidney transplant.

11. Blue Blood

Blue Blood Banned

Feb 20, 2012
    Associate to Scomel Basses
    Personally, I don't like the Pope pre. I think the SMith pre is way better. Also, the Ken SMith tone comes from the woods, pickups, and pickup placement, not the pre.

12. thepontif

thepontif

Apr 24, 2004
    Designer Fodera Guitars/Michael Pope Design, Inc., Trickfish Amplification
    I agree, that the sound of the Smith does not come from the pre. I have lots of experience with this. My Smith went through hell as an experiment bass before I sold it and got my first Fodera. Personally, I think the Pope pre is GREAT, but like Munji, I think you might be better served to put it in the Yamaha.

And I don't know what Ken has said about me, or what business he has talking about me, but I think the kidney would reject the bass JUST as badly.

13. Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    I'll pm you the quote I was thinking about if I can find it. Until then you should probably treat it as misquoted, out of context internet BS. I wasn't trying to start anything.

14. thepontif

thepontif

Apr 24, 2004
    That said, if you like the Smith tone, which is totally unique, really, you should keep it the way it is IMO.

15. thepontif

thepontif

Apr 24, 2004
    I'd appreciate it. Nothing started, afaic. Just surprised. Didn't know there was any angst there. And I do agree, the FlexCore might not be good match for a Smith unless you're going what I did by routing it and putting Duncan duals in it and totally transforming it.

16. Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    I just searched both here and on Ken's forum and couldn't find the post I thought I remembered seeing recently when I was looking for clues as to why Ken had been banned from this site. I should have found that quote and linked it before I said something so flippant and potentially inflammatory. It was thoughtless and completely out of line especially since Ken doesn't have the opportunity to respond. My sincere apologies.

17. LowEndGroover

LowEndGroover Gold Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2012
    Long Island
    I had Joey from Fodera put their Pope standard preamp in my '82 Smith w/new EMG's Hum's last year and I think it's sounds great. Still has the famous Smith sound but now it's much more versatile. Old controls were Volume, Blend, Tone and they weren't really giving me what I wanted.

Did I ruin a "classic/vintage bass? Maybe, but my basses are meant to be played and enjoyed. ;)

18. thepontif

thepontif

Apr 24, 2004
    Good to know.

19. TheBasicBassist

TheBasicBassist

Jan 8, 2009
    Newark, DE
    Endorsing Artist: Rosado Guitars
    I was just thinking this the other day. My Smith Pro Elite's preamp has *potentially* kick the bucket, and Ken's been slightly less than satisfactory to deal with to the point that he won't sell me a preamp (though they're listed on his site for sale - you can't order via the website) without first seeing the bass. I've been looking at other options and have narrowed it down to the Demeter, Glock or Pope. Anyone here have any other thoughts?

20. thepontif

thepontif

Apr 24, 2004
    I vote Pope ;-)