Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"poping finger" help!!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by A Rock, Jan 18, 2002.

1. A Rock

A Rock

Mar 18, 2001
    New Haven, CT
    i just bought that slap bass program video. I have been practicing for hours. Now my pointer hurts like hell. I dunno if its becuase i dont have a callus or nething...or maybe im not doing something right.

But neway...i was wondering what i can do to make the pain go away faster.

any remedies??

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

It toughens and develops a callous if you let it. Right now, I guess yours is red and very tender from popping roundwounds.

Don't stay at it so frequently that you develop a white blister, break the skin, and develop an open sore. That will keep you from popping for too long. Better to back off and let it harden a bit before going back at it.

Putting super glue on the sore spot(s) will toughen the skin and allow you to keep playing if the pain isn't too much.

FWIW, I have calloused skin on the sides of my first 3 three plucking fingers from popping. There's no pain any longer, but I still can't pop continuously without some damage.

3. the reason it's hurting is because every time you pop the string your finger rubs against the string which is whats causing the irritation, i got it when i started poping as well, if you want to carry on poping the bass the only way the pain will stop is if u put up with it until the skin hardens (which it will), the only other option is to stop poping :D
    of course i may be wrong, but i'm pretty sure i'm not

l8rz

Tom

4. darn, got beaten to it (and he did a better job of explaining it too) :mad:

5. A Rock

A Rock

Mar 18, 2001
    New Haven, CT
    im confused between the two posts:confused:

do i keep playing and let it harden...or does it harden while i just back off for a few days?

6. this is what i did.
    lay off playing for a bit, when the skin starts to harden a bit, try playing, if it hurts like hell stop and leave it for a bit longer, if i doesn't hurt then carry on as normal.
    and if a blister starts to appear then STOP until it goes away because if you get a blister you wont be able to play for a long time

hope this clears it up a bit more.

l8rz

Tom

7. rickbass

wotnwhy and myself agree on this. The skin becomes harder and tougher after it has become red and inflamed.

Then you go back at it till you reach that point again, and quit popping while even more of a callous develops.

The super glue can help, too. Lots of double bassists in rockabilly use it because they have to really attacl the strings hard and fast on their uprights.

8. rickbass

wotnwhy and myself agree on this. The skin becomes harder and tougher after it has become red and inflamed.

Then you go back at it till you reach that point again, and quit popping while even more of a callous develops.

The super glue can help, too. Lots of double bassists in rockabilly use it because they have to really attacl the strings hard and fast on their uprights.

9. A Rock

A Rock

Mar 18, 2001
    New Haven, CT

10. I'm not allowed to post here untill I read the user agreement and learn to treat others with respect