Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Poping sound when slapping with cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Davidoc, Aug 3, 2002.

1. The Cab from my Carvin PB-200 has recently been making staticky poping noises when I slap and pop. This is not the pop's pop, it's a clearly speaker related problem.

Recently, it's been doing it with my new rack setup and the carvin's amp. I thought it might be the bass, but I tried it through my brother's marshall cab without the problem. Despite all likelyhood, the problem has to be the speaker.

This is extremely weird- it doesn't do it at all when playing fingersyle, but it always does it when slapping, despite the volume. I can cut down my amp's or basses volume just about all the way, and it still does it. I don't understand it.

It just started to do it recently. Does this seem like natural wear and tear from an underpowered cab? (now I have more than enough power, but I've been running it with my Carvin's head for so long now.)

2. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    It may not be your amp. Does your string touch your pickup when you slap? I had this happen when my Fender J didn't have enough room between the string and pickup....it was clearly a popping sound.

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    could be the tweeter.

4. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    welcome to the world of carvin speakers... turn your volume down and if the problem stops, then that means you're probably putting too much power through the speaker. I don't remember if the PB 200 has onboard compression, but if you use that, you should be able to get louder before the noise starts.

5. Now that I think about it, it only does it when I pop, not when I slap, and the sound is a staticky pop.

I have the tweeter off. The Carvin does have onboard compression, but I'm using the ampeg and qsc rig through the carvin speaker. I just use the pb-200 head to verify if it was the speaker. Turning the volume down anywhere in the gain stages doesn't affect it's proportional volume or existence. Thisis weird.

It's probably just from carvin's super-****ty speaker.