1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Poplar body, Maple neck, rosewood fingerboard. Tone?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DaveCustomMade, Nov 20, 2006.

1. What are the advantages and disadvantages of the following wood combinations:

Poplar Body
    Maple Neck (I originally said Pine, but it's Maple)
    Rosewood fingerboard

I'm considering new Bartolini electronics (preamp and pickups) so I can get a more punchy attack with more usable Bass, Mid, and Treble eq. Will I have problems based upon the woods used in my bass contruction?

Thanks.

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Wouldn't a pine neck be too soft for a neck wood and never stay straight?

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Pine neck? With how sappy that stuff is, I'd be surprised if it didn't bend in half when strung. Why are you looking at pine?

4. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    +1. Also I don't feel like Barts in general are very "punchy". More like "warm and organic".

5. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Hey, the Holidays are here. . . maybe pine is the right choice for the season.

6. Bull44

Bull44

Dec 13, 2004
    Maine
    Pine might work in theory with a strong truss rod, but that wood as is ages changes a lot and just changes a lot with humidity levels and such, so for all the woods that are out there I don't think that pine would work well for a neck.

7. mark beem

mark beem Wait, how does this song start again?? Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    Pine??? :eyebrow:

8. MobileHolmes

MobileHolmes I used to be BassoP

Nov 4, 2006
    Iowa
    The orginal broadcaster had a pine body, but I don't think I have ever seen a pine neck. From what I have read, pine is actually a pretty responsive tone wood (I think kind of swamp ash-y) but that it is crap for durability. It dents really easily.

9. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    Add a nice formica top and you'd have a bass that could proudly be sold at IKEA.

10. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

+1.....And I would strongly suggest Maple.

George

11. Pine?. . . . :bag:

Maple neck. :rolleyes: <---- at myself. :rollno:

Anyway, about the tonal capabilities as spelled out in the first post?

12. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    I don't know, you might get more "snap" in your sound when the pine neck gives way. :D

13. I have a Bartolini pickup and preamp in my fretless and it is much more punchy than the electronics currently in this Peavey. . . . . . . . . . Really!

14. These are the woods used by Fender in the mid to late 90's MIM basses and strats (it's what my 94 & 99 MIM P's were made from). Soundwise the poplar body is very woody and light soundinging. A little below average on sustain Weight was also light I had troulble with pickguard screws stripping.

IMO poplar body is a good choice for a strat (tames some of the brittle highs), but not the best body for a bass (lack defenitive lows and sustain).

Maple neck with rosewood board, it's almost industry standard material,

15. mark beem

mark beem Wait, how does this song start again?? Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    But it wouldn't give way. It'd just fold over double under all that tension!!

Case in point:

[​IMG]

:D

16. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx

I see your pic and raise you a google find! :mad:

[​IMG]

17. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    Well yeah, if you're playing like a tornado on pine neck then of course it's gonna snap!

:rollno: Jeez!!!

;)

18. :D That made me lol

I think ikea would use formica as a fretboard laminate

19. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    I DO PLAY LIKE A TORNADO! A TORNADO ON STEROIDS WITH A BAD ATTITUDE! :mad:

..it just comes out sounding like The Captain and Tennille on downers.:( I blame my equipment.

20. Poplar/maple/rosewood = MusicMan SUB

Poplar/pine/rosewood = firewood