Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

poplar wood

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by tpsbassist, Aug 7, 2002.

1. I was just wondering if anyone in here has had any experience using poplar for the body? any advantages/disadvantages it might have? thanks

2. Fender is currently using poplar for the MIM Jazz basses.

3. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    It's not terribly pretty and it's a bit stringy to work, but otherwise, it makes a fine wood for a bass.

4. QTraXQ

QTraXQ Guest

Aug 16, 2002
    San Antonio, TX
    People keep thinking that Fender is using Poplar bodies. They are not!! Fender is using Alder for both MIM and MIA. Bodies and necks for both are cut in America then shipped to Mexico to be put together..

5. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I don't know about the newer MIM's, but my MIM Jazz is made of poplar. The MIA have to my knowledge always been made of alder, though.

6. Up until very recently, Fender was using poplar in their MIM bodies. So it really makes no difference if they were cut in the US and shipped to Mexico for assembly, they were still cutting poplar wood and shipping it to Mexico.

And I could be wrong, but doesn't fender also offer ash bodies?

7. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    A quick check on he Fender website verifies that. But wasn't this supposed to be about poplar? :)

8. ;) Sorry for getting off topic. Yes, this is about poplar. :D

9. LowRanger

LowRanger

Dec 24, 2000
    I've got a tulipwood (poplar) MTD 535. Probably the lightest 5 I've ever played, and a really nice, even tone. One of those "fits with anything" basses for me.

I think poplar is a fairly soft tonewood; my MTD is pretty well dented from a previous owner, but still plays/sounds great.