1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Popped my E string. :O

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by BullHorn, Oct 8, 2010.

1. BullHorn

BullHorn

Nov 23, 2006
    Israel
    I was playing unplugged (Sabbath and all that) and suddenly a giant POP and there goes my E string. It sort of dismantled at the bridge. This was a 6 months old Elixir.

Should I be worried, perhaps a problem with the bridge sadles? Or maybe I should use a lighter touch...

Anyone ever popped a string? First time in 4 years of playing!

2. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    It's either an old faulty string or an issue with your bridge saddle. It wouldn't hurt to run some 600-grit and 4A steel wood over the saddle to make sure it's smooth.

3. 6 months? Jeeze.

4. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    The times I have done that it's because I have had the saddles right next to the bridge and up fairly high. I had to have it set like that to get the intonation right on that bass, and I popped a few E strings before I just gave up. It might have just been that string's time to move on to the next world though.

5. c_thur

c_thur

Aug 26, 2010
    New England, USA
    I used to try and slap just in front of the saddles. I went through 3 or 4 super slinky E-strings that way. Eventually the joint in my thumb told me to move it up toward the neck. It's scary when that string is coming toward you...

6. Randall

Randall

Aug 6, 2009
    Canada.
    ;) Geezer does wail away doesnt he? . I have never broke a string before so like others say check your bridge saddles.

P.S Playing heavy handed unplugged can be very hard on you hands etc. Be carefull with them so you can play a lifetime with no pain.

7. I've broken plenty of Es in my time, I don't play quite as hard now and I play closer to the neck too so I've not broke one in a while that wasn't pretty old and REALLY needed changing anyway. Anyway I wouldn't be too hasty to put it down the saddles, but giving them a smooth over can't hurt.