Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Popped my Nigerian scam cherry.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Sonorous, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    So there is a local website dedicated to local stuff. I posted an ad on it trying to sell my Avatar 4x10. This is what resulted.

So what now? Guess I should have some fun, but what should I say?

2. tell them it doesn't work and you want like 10 grand for it. I told them that I sat on my EMG (that I was selling) and that it was now stuck in my butt. :D It's loads of fun. :D

3. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    The first couple of these I got really burned me up but then I started to have fun with them.
    One guy asked for a picture of the item so I sent him a link to the Federal Trade Commissions website.:D

4. I got a similar scam email when I tried to sell a bass on Craigslist about a year ago.

As tempting as it is to mess around with them you have to realize that these are people with no conscience. Otherwise they couldn't do what they do. You should simply ignore them and they will go away.

If you mess with these people, you could be in for more trouble than you want. Remember, these are people with no soul who by all rights should be buried alive in a septic tank. You do not want to find out what they are really capable of doing. They know more about you than you do about them.

- Dave

5. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I just respond to them by saying that I forwarded their e-mail to the CIA. That's who is supposed to be handling these things.

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I'm with you on that Dave. I used to mess around and lead them along for a few e-mails, but I stopped.

-Mike

7. Chris M

Chris M

Oct 23, 2005
    Littleton, CO
    I sold my truck last summer and got more of these than I did legit responses..

As tempting as it is to mess with them, it's best to just delete the e-mails..

Unless there's someone they can be forwarded to who will actually do something about it.. I think they'd just tell you the same thing though, to ignore them.

8. Dave, just what do you think they can or will do? I assume you know someone that has actually met the mysterious "associate"?:rolleyes:

I send them a big color .jpg saying "kiss my azz scammer!"

9. Nigerian scammers have been known to kill people. There are any number of things they can do to someone if they know their name and phone number and other info which would likely be posted in the online ad that started this whole thing. They can target you for identity theft, they can simply harass you by subscribing your name to any number of spammer lists.

You never know who you're messing with. If you want to go ahead and taunt one of these bastards, go for it. It's a stupid idea, in my opinion.

- Dave

10. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    You sure its not Ghana? If you want them to leave you alone, include the word mugu somewhere in your ad. I guarentee you they won't bother.

11. Care to explain why?

12. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I'm a bit lazy, but "mugu" is a native word meaning "fool" or "moron." It's used by scammers to mark their territory on guestbooks, messageboards, public sites, etc, where e-mail addresses may be displayed. They also refer to potential victims as "mugus" and themselves as "guyman" which roughly translates to "friend."

Check htt://ip_relay_scams.aimoo.com and http://www.419eater.com for more info

13. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada

this link is great also. really funny emails actually.

http://baita.mugu.co.uk/

14. PeppermanL2K

PeppermanL2K ...and on the 8th day, God created the Habanero.

Feb 3, 2006
    Huntsville, AL
  15. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    awwwwww you will always remember your first ;)

16. ok...am i missing something? maybe its just cause i'm 15, but im not seeing anything wrong here. besides the $1950 check and stuff, how do you know its a scam? i dont get it :meh:

17. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    oodles of spelling errors and the request for a wire transfer are the 2 biggest giveaways. theres other stuff but im not too familiar with scams, someone else could explain better.

18. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    He's sending a $2000 check, and Sonorous has to send him the difference right away... Therefore basically giving him $1875. The check doesn't clear yet, and Sonorous is already sending him the balance. A lot of people fall for it and send people free money. Unfortunatly I have a soul :(.. Which really sucks sometimes.

19. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    They send you a phony check that often clears the bank at first and is caught later. If you send them the balance back, your stuck for the bad check. That's the simple explaination. Check Craigs list, they have warnings and examples there, I got this on a PRS Guitar I was selling. They work off of greed that's why they always offer you more than you are asking to hold it.

20. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I'm still with you Dave. Why take a chance? You risk the chance of being a tragic story on the headline news.

-Mike