Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

popped seam questions...

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by K-townbasso, Dec 7, 2004.

1. ok well the kay that i am using (a school bass) has a popped
    a seam, and i dont really wanna drop the cash to go to a shop with it, but i dont have a large supply of hide glue on hand to use :meh:
    my question is, what if anything could be used as an acceptable bonding agent in the time being untill the school can get it fixed, or where can i get easy to mix or even pre mixed hide glue for the job (does home depot etc have it?)
    if any other suggestions are posed can they be removed for a proper repair later? i have to have this bass to use like non stop for a while, and i can live with it like it is, not too big of a poeed seam, but just wanted to know if i could keep it together for a while longer, or somethin like that
    thanks!

2. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    Hardware store...bottled hide glue...mix with 40% or so warm water...smear into cleaned-out seam with thin knife...clamp and leave for 6 hours. Do not use white or yellow glue or epoxy.

3. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    just curious; why mix with water Arnold ?

4. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Mix it with water to dilute it. You want the seam to pop...otherwise the top will crack.