1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Popping accuracy

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Pete_Wentz, Sep 27, 2008.

1. Pete_Wentz

Pete_Wentz

Aug 28, 2008
    Singapore
    I seriously need help with my popping in terms of accuracy. Everytime I pop the D string at a fast speed, I risk accidently hitting the G string.

Any tips other than 'practise slowly'? Because Ive been doing that for awhile aready

2. onlyclave

onlyclave

Oct 28, 2005
    Seattle
    Practice slower. Seriously. Just play octaves between the E and D strings, slap-pop-slap-pop.

You can make it more fun by playing disco lines on those two strings.

If you can't play it slow you surely can't play it fast. Your brain will make a better connection to your fingers when you practice it slower. Be patient.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    How long is a while? Two years? A couple weeks?

There's no other answer besides keep working at it and strive for accuracy at slower speeds before you take it up. If you have been doing it for a while, do it for a while longer.

4. Make sure you practice with a metronome! I used to have the habit of attempting to practice something slow, and sticking with the tempo for only a few minutes before my mind wanders. Try to just slap-pop the E and D strings for 5-10 minutes at a slow tempo each day and you should notice improvement rather quickly

5. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    I read the subject wrong... I was just going to get my favorite magazine!:D

I had this problem too. I had my teacher show me, and if not that a more experienced bassist, then practiced. Practice, practice, practice.

6. yawmwen

yawmwen

May 19, 2008
    Washington

Listen to him, I have this problem as well. The only way to keep me on track with the tempo is a drum machine or metronome.

7. practise practise practise. Some things will come easily, some may take a year or more to be comfortable with.

- Andrew

8. I had the same problem. After practicing slap an hour per day for all of september it went away. It's just a matter of accuracy, which comes with practice I think. Now if I can just left hand technique up to speed with the hammers, pull offs, dead notes, and pressure rolls :help::ninja: