1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Popping and humming noises

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by spego, Mar 25, 2009.

1. spego

spego

Dec 1, 2008
    Hazleton PA
    Well I was at practice on Sunday and we played through all of our songs so it took a good 5 hrs. I was using my 1x15 cab at 4ohm with my GK BL600 cranked up pretty good. About 3-3.5 hrs into practice I heard a electrical noise come from somewhere (I was leaning against the wall and not near the speakers of the PA or the bass amp). I moved up and found it was the bass rig......like a violent noise....as if someone touched the tip and the sheilded area of the guitar cord. So I quickly disconnected the Behringer BDI21 pedal I had in line and plugged in straight.....problem gone! So I figured it was the pedal.

So now I get my stuff home and tried the pedal out for about an hr and no problem. I plugged straight into the amp and now I have a bad static pop when I walk across the floor (like louder than the notes I am playing) and a terrible hum when I get near the amp. I used to have a slight hum but nothing like this......I can take the guitar and get it right up within an inch of the amp and the noise is so loud you can almost feel it in the floor.

So what the hell happened? I am hoping I don't need to return it to GC but I bet I will have to. I hope it doesn't have to be sent out and I am ampless for all these shows in April we have booked. :crying::mad:

Let me know what you all think.....and if you have any suggestions to try out.

BTW - the only variable that really changed when I got home is I am plugged into a different cabinet (a work in progress). I don't think that would have anything to do with it but if it does speak up. :meh:

2. spego

spego

Dec 1, 2008
    Hazleton PA
    I think I may call the manager up at GC and see what he has to say. I bought the extended warranty on it and I believe it covers a 90 day return policy.....so maybe I can return it and get a new one since it was only since the end of Jan. I am going to try them in 15 mins and see what they say.

3. hrgiger

hrgiger

Jan 11, 2009
    Did you try different instrument cables? Sounds like a bad bass cable... Try bending it around and see if it has any effect. I've had several do this, and when you unscrew the metal part, everything looks fine, but it ain't! :meh:

4. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    It could be the instrument cable or maybe the input jack on the BL. Check with a known good cable first. If it still does it take it in to GC and have them give you a new one.

5. spego

spego

Dec 1, 2008
    Hazleton PA
    Yeah I took 3 cables (1 that was brand new and I never gigged with yet) and tried them and all the same sounds. :( I wheeled the whole rig around the house trying it in different outlets and all the same results (only difference is I got less static pop on the tile but it would still pop frequently). I called them and they said I had a 60 day return policy (because of the extra warranty purchase) and to bring it up and they would look it over.....he said I could still trade it in.....I want to keep the same model though as I think it sounds pretty good (and I don't want to spend more money).

So I guess I will be heading up there in a few hrs to talk to someone. Hope I just get a new one and it will ease my worries.

6. spego

spego

Dec 1, 2008
    Hazleton PA
    Well it took some convincing but I got a new one. I went in and told the guy the whole story.....he said "it's probably the guitar" before we even hooked anything up.....so I figured I was going to be in trouble. He played the bass sitting down and said there is no noise here.....just normal noises. So I took it....walked around like I told him....and there is the popping. He said "oh thats a ground problem in the guitar" and said I will try it with another guitar. He plugged in a Squire Jazz bass that had no strap on it.....and played the E string with no popping. I told him he needs to not be touching any metal on the guitar and be moving to reproduce this popping noise. He couldn't get it to do it.......so i told him to get me a strap and let me try (he seemed to be getting skeptical at this point I knew what i was doing.....come on stand on your head....eat a banana and play the bass with your left toe and the noise is there). So he got the strap and I walked side to side and back and forth just plucking the E string on the Squire with my fingers......"There is the popping" I said. He watched me and listened to it and goes "man that is really weird".

So end story is I have a new amp anyway. The unexplained grounding issue has to be in the amp somewhere but we don't know what happened.

7. zagnut

zagnut

Jan 4, 2009
    Back in Detroit
    Sounds like a static build up in your body discharging through your bass and into your amp. If it was a big enough charge, you could have caused the amp to go poof without knowing it. Electrical components are quite sensitive to static electricity.

Oh well, at least you got a new amp.

8. spego

spego

Dec 1, 2008
    Hazleton PA
    Is there something you can do to prevent the static buildup from frying an amp?

9. zagnut

zagnut

Jan 4, 2009
    Back in Detroit
    Other than grounding yourself, not sure. But even to do that, you'd have something like a grounding strap (attached to wrist) or a grounding mat to stand on while you play. These are used by computer techs.

ANTI_STATIC_MAT_KIT_PRODUCTS.

But, I don't think I would worry about it too much unless it happens again. Frying a computer chip is a lot easier than frying your amp. I've never heard of anyone frying an amp like this, not while playing anyways. Hopefully it was just a strange occurrence.

10. spego

spego

Dec 1, 2008
    Hazleton PA
    I hear ya. Thanks again all!