Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

popping and not peeling

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by DeepDeath, Dec 24, 2001.

1. im begging to pop cause i love the way it sounds for some d/g string melodies. but it hurts the skin where im popping it from so muc. how do i stop this?

2. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    This pain is caused from slapping too hard.. Now it is going to be bit sensative, but if you start to blee or blister badly, you're doing it way to much nd probably wrong. Slapping and popping is't really beating the bass as hard as you can, you need to be somewhat gentle, the softer you slap and pop, the better tone you will produce.. pulling on the string with tons of force just gives you that fork on a plate sound.. you can get good slap and pop sounds from hitting the string just hard enough to get it.. work on this. but don't just work on that or you will start to develop nasty blisters if all you do for 2 hours is that.. anyway just my opinion, happy hollidays

Jim

3. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    ive starting slappin alot lately and boy is my popping finger a mess!theres a massive blister on it.it hurts,i just want it to pop so it can grow harder into a callus.

4. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    Slapping and popping hard isn't wrong at all. It's just a different sound. I've never gotten a fork on a plate sound, except when slapping on a p-bass where the strings hit the exposed pole pieces (horrible, horrible sound). Slapping harder on a ray always sounded better to me, but that's just an opinion.

For the blistering and peeling of skin:

When your finger(s) start to get sore, STOP!!! No more slapping for the rest of the day. As you slap more and more, your fingers will hurt less and take longer before they begin to blister or peel. Eventually, you'll be able to slap the night away pain and blister free. Just be patient...

5. i've found sometimes that slapping/popping with old strings can add to the pain. Try tweaking your techniques on a new set.

cheers

6. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    Especially on pure nickel roundwounds.....

7. I've been experimenting with slapping and popping since i've had my bass (almost a year now:D ) and I have never had a single blister.

I think this is attributed to not going into overkill. I usually practice anywhere from 2-4 hours a day, so, I tend to switch up styles all day long. I dont usually say 'hum, im going to slap and pop myself to death today.'

Doing so causes unwanted pain, (ie, blisters). Just know when to stop, and you will never have to worry about the pain of blisters again.

Think of it a little like going to the gym, when you do enough bench presses, your arms will become tired. When this happens you dont go on, you do something like leg lifts.

Hope I helped! Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, and Happy New Year!

8. I've never had that problem, and I own a Marcus Miller Jazz Bass (Irresistable for my slapping side o' me bass playing techniques)...

9. Wow, 7 replies in a short time you're lucky, I think I asked the same thing, see:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=33863

And the topic is still open to suggestions....

10. i guess to pop like bill dickens i need these techniques and years of practice!

11. yeah, i bassicly agree with evreybody else, if your just starting, it IS gonna hurt, and your gonna get blisters and cuts, but after a while you fingers will become dead sticks like mine and you wont feel any pain :)

later