1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Popping direction

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by tbass-chicago, Mar 28, 2006.

1. tbass-chicago

tbass-chicago

Oct 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Quick question: When I'm "popping" the string during a slap line, do I pluck the string straight out from the fret board or down towards the floor?

I'm trying to get some of the harsh sound out of my popping technique.

Thanks!
    Tom

2. Perpendicular to the bass - so you pull up, away from the pick-ups and release. NOT TOO HARD now... As far as the directional relationship to the floor, I suppose that all depends on your current physical orientation ;)

3. tbass-chicago

tbass-chicago

Oct 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks! I'm probably snapping it too hard.

4. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY

A lot of people do when they first start out. Just keep at it, do what feels good and sounds good to you.

5. Kosko

Kosko

Dec 12, 2005
    Buffalo
    now try getting the same volume and articulation levels through slapping as you do in finger / pick style. or maybe not the same but so you wouldn't have to change volume while playing a lick that utilizes both styles. thats the real tough part

6. tbass-chicago

tbass-chicago

Oct 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Currently slapping with my thumb doesn't give me the proper volume. I read a tip somewhere that says to practice on a 2x4, and I might try that.