Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Popping fingernail digging grooves in my thru-neck: Solutions?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by alexclaber, Nov 10, 2005.

1. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    My trusty old Warwick is suffering from my fingernail digging out the lines of early growth wood in my wenge thru-neck, when I'm slapping and popping. This is starting to get annoying as my nail is catching in the grooves.

I'm speccing out a new custom bass design and trying to fathom how to avoid this happening in future. I'd like to stick with the same thru-neck design, in which case would pore filler protect the wenge from attack?

Alex

2. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    What about clipping your fingernail?

3. alexclaber

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    That's as short as I can get it - about 2mm short of the end of the finger. It's only my index finger that's the problem, it's kind of pointy compared to my middle and ring fingertips. Ever since I've played bass I've cut my fingernails shorter and shorter but they won't go any further back!

Alex

4. Pickguard anyone?

5. alexclaber

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    I'd really rather not! But...

Alex

6. You could "seal" that offending area's pores with CA or something, so the look doesn't drastically change (tho it could get shiny) yet will alleviate the issue. Get a good gap filling consistency.

just a thought.

7. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Have you considered a pickguard made of plexiglass? Invisible that is..

You know, like most flamenco players have on their guitar.

8. Yeah, they even sell it in thin, self-adhesive sheets. dunno how well it would work on a wax / oil finish tho...

9. callmeMrThumbs

callmeMrThumbs Guest

Oct 6, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    You could get a luthier to sand down that section, or even cut out a groove for popping. Then you could refinish it or whatever. My Ibanez EDA-905 is designed to avoid this problem...
    [​IMG]

Good luck...

-Josh

10. alexclaber

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Plexiglass pickguard could be interesting, especially if it could be integrated with the 'ramp'/thumbrest I want between the pickups, as the pickups are also in clear casings (Q-Tuners).

Alternatively, pore filler on the neck laminates seems an elegant solution. But how tough is it really - will I regret it in a few years time?

Alex

11. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
  12. I always anchor my thumb against the body and my thumbnail digs into the finish. This may sound odd, but it works. I take clear packing tape (approx. 2" wide) and build up layers of tape on a smooth, clean surface. The hard part is building up the layers with no air bubbles in between layers. When there is sufficient thickness I just remove the tape from the work surface, cut it into the desired shape and stick it in place on the bass. The tape is actually quite tough. It stays in place until you remove it and it can only be seen when you're right on top of the bass. I haven't found a finish that it doesn't work on.