1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Popping issues

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by d8g3jdh, Apr 22, 2006.

1. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    I've just started getting back into slap, and I find that my major roadblock was always popping. I was never able to get it to sound good, and then if it did, I could never do it quick. Very aggravating. I'm fair enough on slapping, for now, but my popping is really suffering. I'm using my middle finger on the G string and my index on the A. The way I slap...thumb mostly parallel to the string, like Larry Graham. Anyone got any good tips for getting a good, clean, popping sound? And once I've got that, anyone got any tips for getting my speed up? I'm looking to be able to play some Chili's, but my popping inabilities are getting in the way.

Advice?

And no Flea flaming please. ;)

2. Slap, then when you are making contact with the string slip you INDEX finger under the string that you want to pop. Reverse the slap motion by bounceing your thumb off of the string while pulling out with your finger. This should produce the popping sound that you are looking for. The next time that you pop use your middle finger, switch everytime you pop just like you would while playing fingerstyle.

lowsound

3. And don't be afraid to pop the string with some authority. I will actually feel like you're doing it too hard at first. Also, make sure you've got your EQ set where the mids and highs are going to be accentuated more.

4. +1 You should be getting blisters on your popping fingers, even if you already have major calluses.

5. Turn your hand so your thumb is more across than parallel.

6. Well at least if you want to sound like Flea...but it shouldnt really matter.
    I barely move my thumb to do most of my thumping, but I also do the all out Johnson thing if i want (its fun, but doesnt really change the sound...just the energy/rhythm a bit).

Getting a good popping sound also has to do with where on the string you pop. Yes, pop with authority. I would get a good funky drum loop going and play over it all out. Your finger will get blistered, but you'll get used to it.

For popping, it has a lot to do with your tone, but remember your Fretting hand also can control tone (Marcus miller does bends, vibrato, slides which add great tone/effect). You'll prob want to hold the popped not harder or longer or shorter depending on what you want. Experiment.

Listen to various styles of slap bass too.

Yes, and EQ is also important (mids-highs for popping, generally..but also depends on what style.).
    Turning TONE up can give more definition, but compression would also be good to counteract that and sound more controlled/smooth like recording artists.