Popping Noise??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CustomFbass, Jan 15, 2004.

1. CustomFbass

Sep 14, 2003
    It seems that when I play my svt 4 is making a popping noise. I run a classic 8x10 cab mono bridged. I also have a behringer compressor and korg rack tuner. I have the limter ON the head. Would turning that off change anything? Also...could it be my tubes? I changed them recently so im not too sure. I do have the -15 Db set In too.

2. kmacleish

Nov 19, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    First, try removing all the devices and playing straight into the amp.

Noise still there? Problem in amp.

Noise gone? Maybe one of the removed devices.

Add one and only one at a time until the noise returns, and you will have found the culprit.

What about the popping - does it happen only when you play? All the time? Regular/irregular? Loud? Soft? (This would be so much easier if I could just hear it . . .. ;) )
  3. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Loose instrument input jack?
  4. Hero of the Day

Hero of the Day

Aug 17, 2003
    Hey, i am having the same problem. Im using a Avatar 210 with a ampeg b2r. I have the limiter on all the time and i have the -15db on aswell. I get sort of a popping scratching sound from my speakers. I would realy like this problem resolved.:bawl:
  5. My SVT III Pro would make a popping noise only once when you first turn it on. I would always have the volume turned completely off then turn on the amp then a one or two second wait and "POP" which would move all the speakers in the 810. I just learned to live with it.
  6. Hero of the Day

Hero of the Day

Aug 17, 2003
    can using a instrament cable to connect my amp and my cab cause this problem im having?
  7. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Hero....You NEVER want to use an instrument cable to connect amp to speaker. The center conductor of an instrument cable is tiny and will rob your cabinet of power. Get yourself a heavy gauge speaker cable ASAP.

I've heard/read that the B2R's effects loop jacks get dirty and cause problems sometimes. Try jumpering the effects send to effects return with a short instrument cable. If that doesn't make a difference, try jumpering preamp output to poweramp input.
  8. Hero of the Day

Hero of the Day

Aug 17, 2003
    Do you think the instrament cable is causing the problem?:confused:
  9. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    The popping problem? I don't think so...unless your amp is charging up the coax cable like a capacitor and the pops are the discharge...

Dirty jacks making intermittent contact could though, that's why I suggested jumpering the fx send to return and preamp output to power amp input as it bypasses the switching function of the return jacks.
  10. Hero of the Day

Hero of the Day

Aug 17, 2003
    So your saying put cables connecting fx send and return and poweramp in and preamp out?
  11. CustomFbass

Sep 14, 2003
    Thanks for the suggestions. My rack stays where i practcie so i haven't had time to try it yet. Time is always limited. The sound itself is a LOUD popping...sounds like a speaker is going to burtst type sound. And yes i do encounter that popping on start up so i always have the volume down. That was an easy one to live with. But its to the point that if i started slapping on my bass it would pop a lot. Ill just try the Subtract all the **** and plug straight in. Im hoping i dont have to send it back in to get repaired...I cant go that long without it. Unless i get another for loan for free. I already had to do that and tried a few amps. a few Gk's. Svt Classic head...I just like my pro 4.

12. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Hero...yes, that's what I'm suggesting. No guarantees that anything will change but you never know.

I'd try one at a time and see if there is any change.
  13. Hey guys I'm having the same problem with my SVT 4 and 8-10 classic cab. The popping noise only happens when I turn it up. For some reason I can't get my setup to be loud enough for me. I had a hartke 3500 with the 4-12's and 15 and it played louder than the Ampeg. Something is wrong, I got the Ampeg cause of the wattage so it could be louder for me.

I tryed the same exact set up at a music store and it was doing the same thing. Do you think that the level I'm turning it up to is its max and can't go louder and thats why it pops? Cause it really aint even that loud to me. Could it be the settings I have set up on it?

Someone please help me!!!!!!!!! lol
  14. 8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    This is something I have heard about many times. I will try to summerize the problem and solution as best as I can remember.

The 4 pro has a ton of wattage, enough to drive at least two SVT 810 cabs. If you scoop out the mids & push a lot of low end into the SVT 810 (like by pushing in the ultra low button), you can overpower the cab with low frequencies which causes the speaker cone to slam against the magnet and cause a gunshot type noise. The amp doesnt appear to be loud since the freqs you are pushing are very low, but you are overpowering the cab. turn off the ultra low & reset your eq. The mids are where the "meat" of your tone & volume reside. An SVT 810 cab is not tuned for sub woofer type bass response. Thats what PA subs are for.

Hope this helps

wow, i commend you. This original post is 2 years old which means you did a search before posting. good job!
  15. Awsome 8mmOD, I'll try that as soon as I get home thanks alot.
  16. mkrtu9

Mar 2, 2006
    Weird. I'm having a similiar problem. But it is when i'm not playing and amp is on. I've got a GK700rbII w/ ampeg svt410hlf cab. When the popping happens i've got my TU-2 turned on so it disables my signal from the bass. I don't scoop my mids so I don't think that over powering my cab is the problem. It only pops every so often, but I would think that it is not very good on the speakers. Would a noise suppressor or limiter work in this situation.
  17. Actually I started suffering from the same thing with my SVT 4 Pro right after playing a weekend double header show. The very next rehearsal it seemed my rig had dropped in volume even when set as I always have it...and there was this intermittent loud pop from time to time. I dropped the head off at the shop the next day so as not to leave anything to chance. Later that evening I was re-teching the bass I had been playing and did notice a slight amount of looseness in the instruments input jack...Ive tightened that up but havent heard from the shop on my head yet...(its still under warrantee so I asked them to completely go through it and check EVERYTHING twice, lol).
    I mainly run it through an Ampeg BSE410s with a Behringer Rack Tuner and have never had an issue like this until now...the EQ has always sounded sweet as ever and shes had plenty of volume for even the largest venues/outdoor shows we play from time to time.

I am curious if anyone knows if a bad tube could be a contributor? I too have decided to eliminate the rack setup, let the head stand alone for better ventilation and switch to a TU2 pedal tuner.....

Ill let you know what I find out from the shop....
  18. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    8mmOD is, as usual, right on for a possible cause of pops that happen with some low boost and high levels.

Even at lower levels it can happen, because you can still get high power transients, depending on playing style.

The classic 810 has a lot lower cone motion capability than some other cabinets. It is really not FOR super lows, so that isn't a problem. (The magnet backs are flat, where on some other cabinets, the backs are dished for added movement, as well as having other changes.)

We heard that when messing with a very high power amp proto. Took a long time before we were sure it wasn't some weird amp problem.

I cut open the speaker, and there was just enough of a scuff mark on the inside of the backplate to show that the coil had been hitting it. Not good for long speaker life, and can sound like a pistol shot (again 8mmOD is right on). Makes you jump.

You may, of course have some other problem instead. A loose connector is certainly a possible cause, although I'd expect some hum..

As far as volume, if you get the pops, and it IS speaker motion, lay off on the low end, and put more power into the harmonics.

You ought to be able to just about fry small animals at a distance with that setup..... IF you don't try to get lots of low frequencies out of a cab that really isn't intended for super-deep lows.