1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

popping noise.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DaddyGreenJeans, Jun 27, 2007.

1. DaddyGreenJeans

DaddyGreenJeans Guest

Jun 19, 2007
    Denver Colorado
    Hello.
    I have a SWR working mans 15"combo amp. i bought it used about 4 months ago. now it seems whenever power off it makes a loud pop, like their is still power through it.
    is his normal or is their something i can do?

2. Hi.

That's quite common with amps. When the power supply caps get older their capacity to hold a charge diminshes and the fast discharge results the POP, You described. The slow is like PROOOOOOT

Some designs use all kinds of bleeds and/or relay switching.

Steve didn't want to add the relays to the circuitry to prevent that, so most of the (older) SWRs behave like that.

Just my 0.02€
    Sam

3. DaddyGreenJeans

DaddyGreenJeans Guest

Jun 19, 2007
    Denver Colorado
    so, it shouldn't be anything to worry about?

4. Hi.

WOT? No-one else is bashing SWR for this "feature" of theirs ? ;) .

Seriously, I wouldn't worry about it unless the pop is accompanied with a crack from the speaker, that indicates over excursion. That rarely happens, because a voltage-spike that bad would be an indication that something else is also wrong with the circuitry.

IMHO it's annoying sometimes, but nothing to worry about.

Just my 0.02€
    Sam

5. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    my swr 350 head use to "pop" until I had it modified by a local amp shop. $65 fix. people said it wouldn't hurt to leave it alone,but it bugged me, so I had it done.

I think a capacitor was put across the power switch or something like that...the shop got the mod from SWR!

SWRs webpage even mentions popping in their equipment and makes it sound like a good thinnng, but maybe they just wanted to save an extra buck because it really doesn't hurt anything

6. DaddyGreenJeans

DaddyGreenJeans Guest

Jun 19, 2007
    Denver Colorado
    so are SWR Amps crappy? i know thats fairly loose term but, did i but a pile of junk?

7. Hi.
    IMO the "old" SWR amps are the best hybrids and the SS versions are a good value. I admit that I've owned only 3, 2 from the late 80's and a Workingmans 10. The ST220 is still my main gig amp unless I "need" a full tube sound for some reason. And the WM10 sees daily playing also.

They're great in my book, an opinion that isn't really popular around here :confused:.

Sam

8. BenLT

BenLT

Jun 17, 2007
    well, i don't know how old my amp is but, im sure its not over 5 years.
    i has been a solid amp, i just was wondering about that noise.
    Thanks alot.

9. Accually, "newer" SWR's doesn't pop, while my 1 year old Hartke pops. The Mo'Bass instead makes a pretty nasty shrill sound when powered down. But considering it's anywhere between 4 and 7 years old, I don't blame anyone...

10. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I have a SWR LA-12 that pops when I turn it ON (not off) and it is annoying but it has not hurt the amp at all. Still works fine.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 2, 2021