1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Popping noises and other rig woes ...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by [email protected], Dec 31, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Buck@Pulse18

[email protected]

Dec 31, 2015
    Greetings All, and Happy New Year!

I have been experiencing a host of issues resulting in severely degraded performance with my bass rig. Here are my components:

Acoustic 1X15 (450W 8 Ohms) Bass Enclosure
    Acoustic 4X10 (600W 8 Ohms) Bass Enclosure

Ampeg SVT-4 Pro (Running in Mono Bridge mode)
    Tech21 SansAmp
    DBX 266XS Compressor/Gate
    DBX 131s Graphic Equalizer
    Decimator ProRackG
    ZOOM B3 Effects
    Korg Tuner
    Line6 Wireless

I have tested performance with all other components removed, leaving only the wireless (I have also plugged in with guitar cable), the SVT-4 Pro, and the cabinets. The popping persists. Earlier this week I replaced the tubes in the SVT-4 Pro with no change. I have also taken the cabinets to our local Guitar Center and tested them there, where they performed fine. The popping persists regardless of which bass I use (I have tested with 4 different basses).

The odd thing is that the amp seems to be running hotter than I recall, and the problems seem to have shown up around the same time (or before) I noticed the fans running on the SVT-4 Pro. Also, when I first start playing, everything sounds amazing. Then, after the amp gets warm, the sound quality goes down the drain.

I have 3 questions:

1) What are your thoughts of where these issues are coming from?

2) What is the proper patching order for the components I listed? I typically patch as follows:

Channel 1: Wireless --> Korg Tuner --> DBX 266xs (Channel 1) --> Tech21 SansAmp --> Decimator (Channel 1) --> SVT-4 Pro Input

Channel 2: SVT-4 Pro Effects Send --> Zoom B3 --> DBX 266xs (Channel 2) --> DBX 131s --> Decimator (Channel 2) --> SVT-4 Pro Effects Return

3) Since my bass enclosures are rated at 2 different watts, should I run the SVT-4 Pro in Stereo mode?

Thanks for your input.

Respectfully,

[email protected]

2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Start from scratch. Bass into amp input, amp output into 4x10. Test. Noise there? If not add one piece at a time until it reappears. When stacking your cabinets always put the 4x10 on the bottom. That way you can hear the 15 over the more efficient 4x10. Let us know your results.

pcake likes this.
  3. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Additionally run the amp in stereo mode in case it is only coming from one amp module in your 4-Pro.

4. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Also why don't you take your amp to Guitar Center since it seems to be the only thing that's changing in performance?.

5. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Note that the 266 is line level, you may actually be sending it -20dB level so any noise problems could be 20dB louder than you might expect when running into the input of your amp.

You might eliminate everything except the bass (a known good bass in case the noise is from the bass), the amp and speakers. Then use the process of elimination to troubleshoot.

6. denhou1974

denhou1974

Mar 6, 2008
    I had a loud intermittent popping from my svt3pro. Turns out it wad a shorted speakon jack in the cab.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2021