Popping noises on my Rick

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chronicle, Dec 27, 2007.

1. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    So I'm not sure why but whenever my fingers are over the frets ie. natural harmonics, i hear popping noises. It happens when i don't press down on the frets, just when i hover over them and touch lightly.

Some have suggested something's wrong with the input jack and some have said grounding. I soildered the grounding wire back to the normal place where Rick has put it so i don't think it's that.

2. So it pops when ever you touch the bridge/strings? If so, sounds like an earth issue. I've got the same on my P-Bass. Need to completely redo all my electronics and EM Shield it all...I know that a lot of Fender electronics are terrible (Ground loops and all that), not sure about Rics. Check it out.

3. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    The thing is, i believe this hasn't happened before. It started randomly.

My Fender also does it actually... but not as bad... you can't really hear it as well as the Rick. Perhaps it's because the Rick has a hotter output..

4. Wires come loose and connections get weaker sometimes. Either check it out your self or get a techie to check it out. :)

5. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    Righto. I'll bring it to my local tech next week. Thanks a bunch.

6. It also might be a good idea to ask them if they can do EM Shielding and proper wiring. If your bass hums, it can reduce it greatly. :)

7. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    Before i look like an idiot, what's EM mean? Electric magnet shielding?

8. Yeah. EM Shielding should prevent a lot of hum in your bass. There's a pictorial on it in the Pick/Electronics section for Jazz Basses. I believe Guitarnuts.com has a good section of shielding. Imo if you're spending $1000+ on a guitar/bass, it should come EM shielded and properly wired by default...

Here's their peice on Shielding a stratocaster:
    http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/shielding/shield3.php
    Have a good look around the site, there's a load of stuff in there that is good to know. I could understand why someone would be uncomfortable with modding an expensive instrument but if you've got a trust techie, see if they'll do it.

9. Dave R

Dave R

Sep 21, 2007
    Boise, ID USA
    My son's '99 Jazz had the same issue. Turned out the ground wire, which is supposed to contact the bridge, had come loose and lost contact. Once I fixed that, the noise went away.

10. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    Yeah I thought that too, I'll check it out before i send it away.

11. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    This is from the article, " It only takes about ten minutes and shielding the back of the pickguard can help wick away the static buildup that sometimes causes popping noises while you are playing."

12. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    ^interesting..

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021