Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

popping on the other strings...

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Josh Ryan, Apr 28, 2001.

1. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I can get, for example, a really fast thumb/pop or whatever combination when the last pop is on the highest string, but if I want the last pop to be on say, the G string of my seven string, I have to slow way down to get my fingers to accurately hit the note. My bass is tuned B, E, A, D, G, C, F.
    Does anyone have a good plan of attack to build up the accuracy of finger placement in a pop so that I can get it up to speed? this is really do to string spacing I guess, as its not as much of a problem on my four string P bass. Any advice would be welcome. Thanks.

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Sorry to say, with tight string spacing it comes down to one thing.

Practice. Practice again. Practice some more. And then some more.

Practice is the only thing that will get you where you want, there are no shortcuts.

3. I know the feeling blisshead. If I slap on a diferent bass than the one I usually use it takes a little bit to get into the groove. The only answer is practice, has that been mentioned yet? :D

4. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Yeah of course your both right, I'll continue to practice. I was just hoping someone might know some really good exercise or something that worked for them.

5. i like doing octaves, slowly then up to speed.
    between strings, ya know jumping from A/G to E/D

seems to work good for me.
    of course doing diferent variations of the stings.
    the best way for me is to practice stuff that i am going to play.

good luck BH:)

6. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    yep, I think I have been trying to get too fast with a too complex part, that's why it's screwy. I'll simplify it to octaves and take it from there. Thanks.

7. take it slow, that is your best bet, a really good solid foundation is a great thing to be able to fall back on. i spent a lot of time trying to get speed and then had to spend even more time getting stability. :D

8. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Yeah, definitely know what you mean. I have found it harder to go slow sometimes. The good thing is it breaks you out if your usual rut. It is forcing me to be more stable because of the length between notes. Thanks again.

9. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    One exercise that I've found helpful is to try to slap and pop the same string, without hitting any of the others. It feels weird at first, but it's great for improving accuracy.

10. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Cool, good idea. It does feel strange. thanks.