1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Popping Passive Pedals Problem Perpetuating..

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Blu bro, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Blu bro

Blu bro

Mar 1, 2012
    Aus
    So i bought a cheap as chips mini loop selector. It does what it should however there is a big Pop whenever i turn the pedal on or off. After doing a little bit of research i read that if i unplugged the power it might stop (as this loop selector is passive ie. it only uses the power to turn the LED on), I tried this but it didn't seem to make the problem any better. I have recently purchased some resistors and capacitors in hopes it will "dump" the surge which i believe is causing the pop.

Does any one else have any experiance with a similar situation. Should i just buy a new loop selector? I would prefer to fix this one if it is at all possible.

P.S. i couldnt find anything in regards to my situation in the "search bar"

Thanks in advance

2. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Apparently it's not an easy fix, but this page may give you some ideas of what is going on. What really causes switch pop | Mr. Black

Blu bro likes this.
  3. Blu bro

Blu bro

Mar 1, 2012
    Aus

Thanks, Yeah i stumbled across that page. Had a bit of a read and it seemed a little beyond my understanding. Might have a second crack at comprehending it. :)

4. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    Basically what you want to do is add dropping resistors to the inputs and/or outputs of the loop pedal. You want a high value resistance to avoid any treble loss. 2.2 megohm is the highest value commonly available, but there are 10 megohm resistors out there too.

I'm going to disagree with "Mr. Black" about adding coupling caps to an effects circuit. Almost always there are coupling caps on the input and output anyway. Adding more caps in line will only cause bass loss.

A no-cost workaround is to "cycle" your footswitches on and off several times before starting to play, sometimes that bleeds the charges off enough to give you some pop-free playing time.

Blu bro and Wasnex like this.
  5. DirtyDuke

DirtyDuke Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 13, 2012
    guelph ontario
    Partner Southampton Pedals, Partner CCP
    Cusack has a pedal tamer that solved my issues with an old pedal that popped like made

Also lehle has a dc filter tat may help

Blu bro likes this.
  6. Blu bro

Blu bro

Mar 1, 2012
    Aus

Im hoping i can solve the issue without adding more pedals as my board is pretty tight. Worst case scenario I will just buy one with the same diemensions but better quality.

DirtyDuke likes this.
  7. Blu bro

Blu bro

Mar 1, 2012
    Aus
    FYI:

well three resistors later and $0.80 later and i have a pedal that no longer pops :)

I ended up using Mr. Blacks first recommendation. All is well

Somnambulance and Wasnex like this.