1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

popping sound from studio monitor setup.

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by BassIsFun17, Mar 1, 2013.

1. BassIsFun17

BassIsFun17

Jan 16, 2006
    Atlanta
    hey all,

i have a popping noise that comes out from my studio monitor's during playback. I am running the L and R outputs from my lexicon fw810 to the L and R input of my JBL LSR2310SP studio subwoofer, and from the L and R outputs on the sub to the inputs of the pair of my Mackie MR5's. the popping noise happens probably about every 30 seconds-1 minute. i want to know why this could be happening. is it from the way i'm wiring up my monitor's? do i need get a monitor mixer to stop this?

thanks!

2. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    What are your buffer settings in your DAW? Could be too low for your CPU and it's giving you playback glitches. You might try increasing the buffer size to see if the popping goes away.

3. audioglenn

audioglenn

Jul 14, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    +1 This is definitely a source of playback glitches. If the processor in your computer is fairly old, it may be having a problem with the audio application.

4. uhdinator

uhdinator

Apr 20, 2010
    Maine
    Buffer size too small. CPU can't keep up.

5. BassIsFun17

BassIsFun17

Jan 16, 2006
    Atlanta
    I raised the buffer speed as high as it could go and i still hear the pops.

6. KrisHayes

KrisHayes

Sep 30, 2012
    Also make sure your clock source is set to internal!

7. IME the order in which you hook things up will also cause latency issues if you're inconsistent (i.e. always shutting down & unplugging in whatever order your system requires, and follow the same route when rebooting). This is assuming you ever reboot your system or disconnect your interface.

8. Also, make sure when you're using it that no unneeded programs are running & wasting valuable CPU.

9. Soppy Hat

Soppy Hat

Jul 14, 2012
    Try messing with the clock settings. At our college's studio, you get a lot of pops on internal- you have to switch it to optical. I'm sure this is different for different setups though, so try fooling around a bit.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 15, 2021