Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Popping speed..

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by tucker, Aug 27, 2001.

1. tucker

tucker Guest

Jan 21, 2001
    North Carolina
    Hey there,
    Well I figure since everyone wants to slap really fast with there thumb, I would change it up. I am a really fast slapper(at least I would say so), but only with my thumb. I can slap regulary, double thumb, and with out the Victor Wooten technique I can slap out triplets and even quadruplets. I have slapped for about 2 years living and idolizing Flea and Les Claypool, wanting to be like them. Well I am more mature and have come to the conclusion they aren't the only ones out there. But my question for today is:

" Since people can slap(with their thumb) really fast and have practiced hundreds of hours in not more, how can you practice to pop or faster"

2. melvin

melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    Im guessing a good way to pop faster is play the opposite pattern you used to learn to slap faster. Lets say you played T-P-T-T-T-P. T being slap P being pop. So to learn to pop faster try P-T-P-P-P-T. One thing I do is i dont take my hand off the strings more than 2 inches, I can slap by moving my thumb alone so if you pop using the same idea, just pulling your finger up through the string, rather than pulling your entire hand away from the strings.

Plus you can always use your middle finger to pop and kinda walk with those fingers but pop instead.

I hope I made sense if I didnt just say so and Ill try to rephrase.

3. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Dang! I thought I was gonna find a new source for a fix! :mad:

4. melvin

melvin

Apr 28, 2001
  5. hammer-ons....? They do take away from the "pop" sound though. Very cool for fills and stuff... Nate