Popping the A

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Ketch27, Aug 19, 2001.

1. Ketch27

May 4, 2001
    Who does it? I just got a 5-string and I like to do a lot of slapping a popping, so should I slap a low B and pop a middle one?
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You can slap and pop every string your bass has!
    People tend to pop only the highest string, cause it's a little easier than popping the others.

A tip: Move your 'popping' finger with your slap motion, so you can already place that finger earlier into the popping position.
    For example, you want to slap the e string and pop the a string.
    You slap the e, and with the same motion you place your index (or middle) finger between a and d string. Now you've already got the finger ready to pop with a upward movement.
    With a little practice you can do it on all strings and with speed.
  3. Ketch27

May 4, 2001
    Yeah. I already know that tip :) .
    I just wasnt sure about popping the A on it, cuz I just got this 5-string and dont know much about fivers.
  4. IMO, you can pop any string on any bass, since it gives a different kind of sound. :D

Now...if I could speed-pop, I'd try writing a song using nothing BUT popping...could make for an interesting song, who knows? :p
  5. Ketch27

May 4, 2001
    Indeed it would. I "wrote" a song with just some fingerstyle and popping (no slapping). I was just popping the crap out of the thing and my band got a kick out of it so I kept it. :D
  6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i have a song where i slap and pop the same string to get a rapid, machine-gun sound.
  7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

That's right - I tend to do this on solos as it "cuts through" more, when you have a loud drummer/rhythm section behind you. So I will "pop" every note in the solo, by just pulling from underneath the strings and move across all the strings - of course this means you need a very flexible right hand technique.

So some notes I will pop with my first two fingers, but occasionally I will throw in notes where my thumb is getting under the lower strings and getting a similar effect - I don't know if this can "officially" be called popping but it has the same outcome and this might be an alternative solution to the original poster's question?
  8. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    I do this occasionally - pop every note in my solo spot - however, if the solo is long, my poor fingers suffer the consequence! They turn black and blue, and hurt for days after... ah, the things we do to sound good!
  9. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    My god, man! Black and blue?!?

I would guess that you're doing something much harder than you need to. Popping should be only slightly harder than regular fingerstyle. I suspect you might be hurting yourself. Try sitting down to find out just how lightly you can slap and pop. It will help you with the above problem, and even out your fingerstly and slapping volumes.
  10. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    LOL! Sorry, I did exaggerate a bit - my fingers turn a dark red, let's put it that way. This is despite the fact that I have nice calluses on my fingers from playing most days.

You're right though. I do pop too hard. It was worse when I was first learning to slap and pop - I was getting blisters all the time. Mind you, that was during my younger days when I would pay for 2 hours straight live, and I was slapping all my songs. Obviously, I am not that stupid now. I am learning to pop with more restraint.