Popping twice on one string

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Twistad, Jul 24, 2005.

1. I've been trying to learn U can't hold no groove by Victor Wooten and even though i'm just at the beggining, i can't see how i should do two muted pops.

Something like this:

I have no problem playing two pop over the D and G strings, each one of my first finger just go underneath each string. I'm thinking i should just get my index to follow my middle finger when popping the g string but this feels very uncomfortable, so i was wondering if this was the good technique or is there any other technique that feels more natural?
  2. Jmann

Apr 29, 2003
    Lexington, Ky
    when i was learning that song i had the same problem, however if you watch his bass day dvd, you will see he does not pop those muted notes on the g but he strums the g string like claypool strums chords. popping twice on the same string just takes a little practice. hope this helps
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    But if you do wish to learn it popping, use pointer and middle finger.
  4. when I play "you can't hold no groove", it comes out sounding just like "Old McDonald"... :eyebrow:
  5. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    You really don't need to double pop for the beginning of that song. Once I get my camera back, I'll make a video or something.
  6. Spikeh

Spikeh Sex Strings

Gonna have to give it a go ;P
  7. Yeah, that'd be really cool, i'm having somewhat of a hard time figuring how to play each part.
  8. Amastacatious

Jul 20, 2005
    You can pop twice if you want, but when I play it I "flick" the string with my middle finger, down and then up, kind of like a guitar like strumming pattern. The full pattern of the opening lick that I use is Open, hammer, pluck, hammer, strum down, strum up, hammer, hammer.

Good Luck
  9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Tabs tend to lie like that. The thing is, produced those dead notes however you need to. You can pop the D/G and it would sound almost the same. Or strum as others suggested.