1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Popping with middle finger

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Tupac, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    Who else slaps this way? If not, let me tell you man, Brian Bromberg and Flea have it figured out. Middle finger popping is VERY comfortable. I don't understand how guys like Marcus can use a closed fist like that and comfortably pop with their index. The only downsides to it are that double thumbing and Claypool-style strumming are a little bit awkward.

2. I'm with you, I've been using this technique for a while now. I'm not sure how I got started but I love it. I use the middle finger for the G string and index finger for the D string.

3. patplaysbass

patplaysbass Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 7, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Soon-to-be-ex Musician's Friend/Guitar Center Employee
    Same. I was told either middle or index could be used, so that's what I naturally fell in to.

4. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    I used to do that, but believe it or not, I learned that it's actually more efficient to just use the middle surprisingly.

5. What I like about using middle for G and index for D is that I can whip out double pluck triplets really easily and the fingers are already staged on the right strings.

6. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    I started out using my index finger, but quickly found myself at home using my middle finger. I probably use it 80% of the time in my popping now. -Luke

7. I just noticed recently when I play that style I naturally use my middle finger & usually pop with the underside of the nail catching the string a bit & release. I don't know if its an anomally but it sounds good & feels natural.

8. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Oct 9, 2011
    Singapore
    I used closed fist and use middle and index, I always tried to slap nearer to the fingerboard , and when I slap the popping finger is actually not straight its like a claw, and use that claw to pluck

9. Thurb

Thurb

Jun 19, 2012
    Victor Wooten uses three fingers (index, middle, and ring) for popping when he's double thumping.

10. I tap and pop with my middle, unless using my index is required too. For some reason its just my strongest finger.

11. I almost never slap but when I do, I use both middle and ring fingers for popping. I mean, both of them at the same time. Just felt natural to me. After seeing this thread I think I'll try to use just the middle.

12. gre107

gre107

Dec 25, 2005
    PA
    Use both, index and middle. The way Marcus plays is actually very comfortable because your hand is relaxed and you capitalize on using less effort very effectively.

13. BassGuyFL

BassGuyFL Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Boynton Bch FL
    Wow I thought I was the only one. I didn't consciously try to it just developed naturally. It works fine for me no need to fix what's not broken.

14. ItchyPBass

ItchyPBass

May 10, 2012
    I actually use both index and middle fingers pretty much equally, it lets me do chords and other funky stuff :bassist:. I actually started with the middle finger, but developed my index finger popping so I could blend the 'Flea' style and the 'Marcus' style. But yeah, I thought I was the only one for about a year, and still am among all the bass players I know personally :)

15. MOTORHEADBANGER

MOTORHEADBANGER Spud-boy looking for a real tomato

Dec 23, 2008
    Sidney, Indiana
    Yep, open hand and middle finger. I will use index and middle together for a triplet or just a more complex rhythm, but 90% of the time it's just middle finger. I feel much more relaxed just allowing my hand to dangle open.

16. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    IMHO there's no right or wrong way to pop. Why struggle with something that's not working for you, when there's an easier way to do things? Use what ever method that is most comfortable, and gets the job done. Don't fight yourself :)

17. Most interesting bass player in the world?!

18. dbbxyz

dbbxyz

Jan 29, 2010
    Rarely slap either. But I've always used my pinky.

Seems I'm the only one?

19. Nope, just total noob at slapping :smug:

I realise that I've been doing it wrong, that what I've said that I need to try popping with middle finger... and maybe even index one :)

20. LayDownABoogie

LayDownABoogie

Jan 3, 2012
    What the....?!