Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Popping

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Jiro, Aug 30, 2004.

1. Jiro

Jiro

Mar 15, 2004
    I just started to slap and pop haha its pretty fun haha... Noones really taught me how to do it all is from sites like this and some video clips of people doing it on the net...

Now the questions.
    Is it normal to get Blisters on your Index finger from popping? Is it because of my technique that is the cause of this bister?
    Is it normal to use your middle finger to pop as well? Or can you use your ring finger to pop?

2. Diowulf

Diowulf Guest

Aug 4, 2004
    San Rafael CA
    I'm not sure about the index finger getting blisters, but as far as using what fingers to pop with, well it doens't really matter, do what ever feels right to you. I use my middle finger sometimes when I pop, because it feels comfortable to me.

3. Ozzyman

Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    To get speed while popping because the technique has probably the most resistance to any technique, then you are required to alternate between index and middle (and even your ring finger)
    Remember, Control The technique. Don't let the technique control you.

4. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    It's perfectly normal to get blisters when you are starting. I did too. I only use my index finger for popping but that doesn't have to be the only way.

5. I never did manage to get blisters from popping, although I did get a thumb blister from muted plucking. It is normal, though. Don't forget you can pop with your pinky as well.

6. Yup, it's normal to get blisters from learning almost any sort of new bass technique. To do with popping, you can use any of your fingers, like Vic does.