Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by JLeeFJ, Jul 27, 2000.

1. JLeeFJ

Apr 5, 2000
    I'm capable of doing some triple thumb slaps and a few odd thumb grooves, but somehow I can't follow up most of them with an appropriate POP on the octave (or something else). Should I just follow the same advice of "GO TO A BASS TEACHER AND LET HIM/HER SHOW YOU THE TECHNIQUE" or is there some strange trick in positioning your hand to facilitate this action? Or could my neck just be too thin for my hands?

Band free and lovin' it!

[This message has been edited by JLeeFJ (edited July 27, 2000).]
  2. msaygilar

msaygilar Guest

Apr 18, 2000
    I couldn't understand why you can't pop the octave? Maybe you can explain it better?
    But, As good as I understood your problem I recommend you to practice slowly.

The Only Mask I Wear is the One I was Born With..
  3. thezim0090

Jun 4, 2006
    Practice "Higher Ground," the amazing RHCP cover of the Stevie Wonder hit. It was the first pop/slap song i ever learned and its all octaves. Don't even worry about learning the whole song at first, just the main bassline. Start slow, then play along to the song. It's a great impresser as well around people who know music.
  4. Daveman2

May 31, 2006
    Yep that's a great one to Learn!:bassist:

What I do to hit octaves is use my pointer finger(closest to thumb) for the low note, and my ring finger for the high note(Not counting using open strings), it's easy that way, just keep trying things until you find what's comfortable and makes a good clean tone/sound.
  5. MarkMyWordsXx

May 17, 2006
    i agree, Higher Ground is the way to go. its easy and its alot of fun.