1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pops in Microwave

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by ricobasso, Mar 9, 2008.

1. ricobasso

ricobasso

Jan 18, 2007
    UK, South East
    ATM my bass is in for repair and I'm currently borrowing the band's bass. It came with an old abandoned tub of Pops rosin. It had probably been dropped while cold and had a lot of jagged edges and a large lump had come loose. With nothing to lose I popped (pun intended) it in the microwave for 30 seconds. Seems to have done the trick. The lumps are all one and its a nice smooth clear whole again. I'm sure this is probably well know to many but I thought I'd share.

2. Yeah but you didn't fix the main problem... Its still Pops rosin.:eek:

3. Peter Ferretti

Peter Ferretti

Jun 7, 2005
    NYC
    last time I did that I forgot to take it out of the container (I was in a rush).

In case anybody is wondering. . . Pops + Microwave + aluminum on pops canister = really funny fireworks show.

4. ricobasso

ricobasso

Jan 18, 2007
    UK, South East
    :D Yeah, I know what you mean. Still, I find a dab of Pops is good to get slippery nylon strings started.

It was an old pot with a paper label, so no fireworks :smug:

5. lowEndRick

lowEndRick Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2006
    CT
    I had the same experience. :D

6. mjt0229

mjt0229 Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Bellingham, WA
    Back in my early days I used to do this every once in awhile to my Pops rosin, but I think this actually dries it out over time.

These days I've got two cakes of that oak rosin, which seem to do nicely, but I'm not sure yet if I'll buy it again when the cakes I have run out.

7. Phil Rowan

Phil Rowan Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    A drip or two of water in the red container every few days keeps my Pop's rosin nice and soft.