1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pops Rosin Problem

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by TorsoJones, Jan 7, 2012.

1. TorsoJones

TorsoJones

Jan 7, 2012
    Hey everybody, this is my first post here, and I seem to be having a problem with Pops Rosin that I'm hoping one of you can offer a solution to. I know that this particular brand has been known to run in hot and humid areas, but it seems that mine has gotten so gooey that when I apply it to my bow, not much of it sticks, giving me a really 'shallow' sound and making it tough to play fast passages without them sounding extremely muddy. I always keep it in its container and it's in a fairly cool room, so I don't know exactly what the problem would be. Does anyone know a way I could get it to solidify a bit? I have a rehearsal to go to tomorrow and I'm hoping I can fix this by then. Thanks!

2. Do you have a cake of harder rosin? Softer rosins do this from time-to-time and could leave a waxy build-up on the bow which will hamper tone. Applying a harder grade of rosin will often help. Some rosins just don't work from season-to-season. Having a couple of different hardnesses on hand is a good idea.

3. Grab your Pops rosin walk to the bin a throw it! Buy some Oak rosin!!!! You'll never have any problem with it, and I promise that you'll never waste your time with anything else. I bow my Spiros with it and "apparently they not bowable" pigs bum!

4. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2000
    Nashville,TN
    Endorsing Artist: Kiesel, Carvin, Accuracy, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    You can put the gooey Pops Rosin into the refrigerator overnight and it will harden in consistency. I used this back in the days of Petz Rosin in the '70s and it worked fairly well-even when leaving the rosin cake in my car in North Texas in July.

5. dbassnut

dbassnut

Apr 1, 2008
    Malaysia
    I store mine in the refrigerator when not using it. So far so good. Also, don't apply too much as all you need is usually a swipe if its soft upto 3 if its hard. Too much rosin on the bow will kill the sound.

6. Bugmeister96

Bugmeister96

Jan 25, 2012
    I would personally donate it to a school or something and get some new (NOT POPS) rosin. But the fridge idea is accurate. Also, it may be causing rosin buildup on your bowhair. If you believe this to be the case, try taking a clean, soft-bristled toothbrush and lightly dampen it with water. Then, slowly move it up the bow in one direction only. A couple swipes should fix it.

7. I was going to say throw it in the fridge. You could always try light rosin Kaplan Art rosin (they also have a dark which is hard) or Pirastro Goldflex rosin if you prefer "light" The ones I mention do not give you the gooey build up as Pops does. good luck

8. JDtheBassPlayer

JDtheBassPlayer

Jul 27, 2011
    I use pops rosin for my own bass bow and we use them on all the bows in school. Both the school and I just keep our rosin sitting there in the Texas heat it still gets the job done there's nothing wrong with it as long as we keep it in the little box we can still get it out

9. TorsoJones

TorsoJones

Jan 7, 2012
    I appreciate all the replies, and will take the refrigeration advice next time I have that problem. On a side note, could you guys recommend a rosin that's good for fast, staccato playing, but not bad for slower, more lyrical pieces, and won't be as likely to crystallize bow hair as Pops? I recently tried Kolstein All-Weather and didn't find it much to my liking (it's great for slower pieces, but I seem to get some screechiness when I play faster stuff), and my director ordered some Carlsson for me to try, but it hasn't come in yet. I was wondering what else I should look at if I don't like the Carlsson stuff much.

10. Kind of depends on the climate and weather in your area. What's the weather like there?

By the way, pop's is a great rosin. It works best when fresh -- I'm usually buying a new cake every three months or so. I'm not sure if it's ideal in super cold, dry climates. You should never put more than two or three swipes on at a time, and always fan the hairs out with a fingernail to lose all the extra bits of rosin.

Carlsson's is junk, at least for my needs. Same thing with Nyman's. I've never tried oak rosin, but my understanding is it was never meant for steel strings.

11. TorsoJones

TorsoJones

Jan 7, 2012
    Here in South Texas it's pretty hot and humid most of the year. My bass teacher uses exclusively Pops as far as I know, but I thought I'd try some other brands to see if there was a brand I liked better (the opinion on Pops on this forum seems to be fairly divided). I guess the only things that I don't like about it are its tendency to run and the fact that it can get crystallized on the bow pretty easily if you're not careful. But yeah, if I can keep those things in check, there might not be any real reason to switch at all.

12. Pop's is made in Houston. Pop's himself was a member of the Houston Symphony. If there's anywhere his rosin should work, it's in south Texas.

13. Blakewdm

Blakewdm

Jun 17, 2008
    Pops is great, but the super sticky stuff can be over applied and it gums up your hair where you won't be able to grab the string, carlsons powders alot, so I keep a cake of that on hand in case of unihair and it helps ungum ones hair