1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pops Rosin

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by nealbrooks1@mac, Mar 29, 2009.

1. nealbrooks1@mac

nealbrooks1@mac

Mar 29, 2009
    I love music, cannot read but I attempt to play in my spare time. I bought 3/4 bass and I'm now attempting to learn how to use the bow. I bought some Pop's Rosin from a local violin shop and the stuff is "rock solid" (no pun intended). After reading the posts on rosin it seems that this stuff should be much softer. Right?

Thanks,
    Neal

2. Jeremy Darrow

Jeremy Darrow

Apr 6, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Fishman Transducers, D'Addarrio Strings, Aguilar Amplifiers
    I use Pop's and I like it, but it seems to me that you really need to find the freshest cakes possible. It's possible that the rosin you bought had been hanging around for a while on the shelf. It shouldn't be brittle, and you should be able to clearly see indentations in the rosin after drawing the bow across it. Even a month or two can make a big difference.

You can order the freshest Pop's at bassrosin.com, they get fresh rosin and ship it to you fast.

3. nealbrooks1@mac

nealbrooks1@mac

Mar 29, 2009
    Jeremy,

Thanks for the response, I'm on it and I'll order directly from Pop's. I purchased the product yesterday so there should not be a problem getting a refund.
    If you have any advice for an absolute beginner with a bow please let me know.

Neal

4. I had the same problem and my teacher said that my rosin cake needed to be worked in as I had not used it before. I worked the top layer off by rubbing it vigorously against a clean sheet of paper and then I worked it with the bow. After this, rosin finally was coming off the 'cupcake' and onto the bow.
    If the rosin has never been used, it's surface will be harder than it will be when it is used often. (room temperature also affects the rosin hardness)

As for if it's too old or not, on mine there is a 'made on' date on the bottom of paper 'cupcake' holder. What's the date on yours?

5. Jeremy Darrow

Jeremy Darrow

Apr 6, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Fishman Transducers, D'Addarrio Strings, Aguilar Amplifiers

I recommend that you find a good teacher, even an occasional lesson with an experienced teacher will be really helpful. Find an orchestra pro if you can.

6. nealbrooks1@mac

nealbrooks1@mac

Mar 29, 2009
    I'll try what you suggest...no date on the paper though. I'll order direct from Pops in the future.
    Thanks for your feedback on thisl

7. irbassist

irbassist

Jun 17, 2009
    pops is a wonderful rosin. inless you live in texas. in that case its good sculpting material. at our school we made pops rosin snowmen and gave them to our teacher at the end of the year.

8. M5Yates

M5Yates

Feb 7, 2005
    Austin, TX
    That's funny - isn't Pop's made in Houston?
    :cool:

9. nealbrooks1@mac

nealbrooks1@mac

Mar 29, 2009
    M5,

Yes. I did not know and I did not even know how to use it properly. The rosin I bought was just starting to dry. When I got a fresh batch from Pops I realized that this is the deal. The company has impeccable credentials, customer service and integrity.
    It was strictly "newbie user error"

Neal;

10. emilio g

emilio g Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2008
    Jersey City, NJ
    As for the issue of it powdering and generally making a mess, I've found that alternating it with Kolstein Soft tends to balance it out sometimes.

When things get too gooey, the Pops goes on. When it gets too powdery, the Kolstein stuff fixes it. Not sure how many people do this, but it seems to work well lately. Less mess and it grabs the strings REALLY well.

11. nealbrooks1@mac

nealbrooks1@mac

Mar 29, 2009
    Emilio,

Never heard of Kolstein, can you give me more information.
    I'd also appreciate direction to any good beginning level books, dvds or websites.
    Thanks for the reply.

Neal

12. CT DB

CT DB

Apr 27, 2007
    Fairfield Cty, CT
    Check out Simandl's book, and look up Andy Anderson's videos on Contrabass conversations video series. He goes over the beginning bow ideas. I have also heard Francois Rabbath's DVD The art of the Bow is good. They are both for the french bow, but the concepts surely transfer to German.

13. nealbrooks1@mac

nealbrooks1@mac

Mar 29, 2009
    CT DB,
    Thanks, I will investigate these options, I appreciate the reply.
    Neal

14. stefaniw80401

stefaniw80401 Supporting Member

May 18, 2004
    Evergreen, Colorado
    I've recently revived a rock of pops in the microwave. Peel the foil label sticker off the red container. Fold the paper cup up as best you can. Stick it in the MW for 10-20 seconds at a time. It'll take several cycles. As it softens, use a toothpick to stir the leathery top down into the softer stuff below. Careful not to burn yourself. Heat it up to the consistency of honey throughout. Let cool on a level surface for a while. When cool, you'll be able to roll the red container between your palm and fingers to break the cupcake loose. Break off the edges of the rosin before it falls on your carpet. Now put some on your bow and enjoy.

15. barend

barend

Feb 4, 2006
    the Netherlands
    I use Nyman rosin made in Sweden. But it is also very hard.

I have used rosin in the past that gives the white marks on the strings. But this rosin doesn't give the white marking but a very light and very noticable yellow marking. This rosin is also much darker than the ones I used before. Is it just a different material?

Also I have to apply it quit often. If I don't play for two hours I have to apply it again. is that normal?

I get the feeling that the rosin I use is not good.

16. stefaniw80401

stefaniw80401 Supporting Member

May 18, 2004
    Evergreen, Colorado
    My favorite rosin is kolstein all weather (AW) and soft (S). I never liked the swedish rosins (nymans, carlson, etc).

17. barend

barend

Feb 4, 2006
    the Netherlands
    Is the Pop rosin you are talking about the same as the Gon Pops rosin? I mean this one:
    http://www.arc-verona.nl/artikeldetails.php?aid=1646

And is the rosin for violin the same as for double bass?
    seems the Nyman rosin I have is advertised on that website as rosin for violin.

18. JtheJazzMan

JtheJazzMan

Apr 10, 2006
    Australia
    I think the pops rosin cake I bought months ago was pretty old then too.

I took a hot knife and cut a few millimetres off the top.

The trick is you really dont need much at all. I use 1-2 swipes on the bow before playing. You think theres nothing on the bow but it does put enough on there.

19. I have a fresh cake of Pop's mailed to me every other month. Freshness REALLY counts. I don't know about other rosins.

20. Violin rosin is MUCH harder than Bass rosin. I wouldn't use violin rosin on a bass bow except in extreme circumstances.