Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pops v. ???

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by basslax, Feb 3, 2001.

1. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    ive seen some pops from school, and i like but what is this black/green (very dark) rosin i got from the rental? it looks works ok but ive never seen this blakish kind of rosin.

thanks
    basslax

2. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    c'mon 8 views on the post and no replies??!! i know someone knows about this black/green rosin.

3. You're going to have to give us more clues than "that blackish green rosin". What kind of container does it come in? Personally, I like to melt together several cakes of rosin in my microwave. A particularly tasty combination for orchestral playing is a mixture of Tomastik #2 (and #3 if you want to get frisky), Hidersine Super-Grip #3, and Petz #4 (hard). This conglomeration will produce a tone you have never heard on your URB before. And your bow will love it! Before I discovered this rosin, I used that great stuff that comes with a cheap bass. I believe it's called Shermans bull-fiddle rosin or something. Anyone else love that stuff?

4. I use the same concoction. A former teacher turned me on to it. For most music I like to apply it to the bow right out of the microwave. For modern solo literature however I place it in the freezer for 30 minutes right after I take it out of the microwave. It gives me that brighter sound that helps to separate the sound of my bass from the rest of the orchestra.

5. 'lax, this is our way of saying that we can't help you on the basis of the info you've given.

Within the next few posts, this side of the board might begin to get just a little bit sarcastic.

6. Hey guys, That's an interesting concoction. How does it compare to the Carlsson's that I've been using forever?
    More or less powder, sticky or smooth grip?
    BTW, EX-LAX, It sounds like you have a very old cake of Kolophonium (maybe Thomastik, maybe Petz- any other Identifiers,i.e cardboard container, metal container, no container?..). I don't even know if they make that anymore, but it came with my first school bass over 20 years ago.

7. rablack

rablack

Mar 9, 2000
    Houston, Texas
    I've had great luck with this concoction as well but here's a secret an old bluegrass shaman taught me. While your rosin mix is still molten (he used an old copper pot over a pecan wood fire) take a couple of heavy gauge wires, wrap an old bike innertube around the wires on either side of a 1/2 inch dowel - leave about an inch of the wires sticking off the end of the dowel rod (which now works like a handle). Hook the wires up to a car battery so you get some good arcs and sparks and stir the molten rosin. This activates something in the rosin, somehow brings it alive.

I could never get my old fiberglass bow to work before but now there's an almost telepathic connection between the rosin and my right brain.

8. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    thanks guys..i was just wondering what kind of rosin it was. the only kind ive seen was an amber type color and was wondering if this was a different style or type of rosin.

thanks

9. rablack

rablack

Mar 9, 2000
    Houston, Texas
    Yes we've amused ourselves a bit. I'll always love the Rosin forum.

Just guessing here but it's probably swedish - Carlsson's or Nymans.

10. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Once again, a simple question turns into what's just short of a flame. I've never understood whats so hard about ANSWERING THE FRICKIN QUESTION.

11. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Fine. Fair is fair. I have a few simple questions as well:

1) What about the above was ever in danger of "becoming a flame?". Sounds to me like several people posted asking for more information in order to better answer the question, and then reedo and rablack took an educated guess. The rest of the discussion was about rosin (imagine that), or just plain old goofing around. It seems odd that the same person who would come down to this very forum and ask, "Geez, why come don't nobody talk about nothin' down here, it shore ain't very lively" is now taking the position that talking about rosin and clowning around while talking about rosin in the rosin forum is somehow bad or rude. Make up your mind.

2) From the previous rosin thread, which turned into a flame war because it had nothing to do with rosin in the first place , it became obvious that you don't care for some of the folks down here and the way they approach things. Fine. I have a strong suspicion that the feeling is mutual. Why not leave it alone?

3) If anyone appears to be attempting to start a flame war, it's you. For the record, yours was the only post that had nothing to do with rosin whatsoever. Some things never change. Your post also had nothing to do with attempting to answer the question of the original poster. All your post did was to criticize one of the responses given to the original post, again criticizing the way things are done on this part of the board. Who asked you? If you don't like the way the threads go down here, just don't read them. Or, if you simply like poking Ed with a stick and then getting stomped on and complaining about it elsewhere, just keep doing what you're doing. But don't expect any sympathy when the inevitable happens...

[Edited by Chris Fitzgerald on 02-12-2001 at 11:12 AM]

12. Hey guys I'm real sorry to upset you. I didn't mean for my post to offend anyone..... I'm extremely sorry that I offended anyone.
    I don't know about anyone else, but these statements seem strangely contradictory to me. Perhaps young Master hunter suffers from multiple personalities, or maybe he is simply two faced, a Janus-Like figure looking forward and back..If he wants to talk about how "Mean" we are down here, maybe he could hook up with Goth Barbie...:rolleyes:

13. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Ok...granted, I was out of my territory. I just get tired of the way ed constantly bashes people. It wasn't a straight out bash, but hey, I got reprimanded for a light-hearted joke, so why not him also?? Guess ya'll tend to kinda stick with your own kind no matter what the situation.

Oh, by the way...you won't be seeing me down here anymore.

14. Tim Ludlam

Tim Ludlam

Dec 19, 1999
    Carmel, IN
    Well Ed.......I hope your happy! Looks like you ran off another perfectly good target for ridicule. Complete with his tail between his legs. I don't feel any compassion from you anymore. I, for one, will not stand for anymore of this bullying of the intellectually challenged.

I will refuse to read the next 5 posts submitted by Mr. Fuqua.

There. Everything okay now, Hunter?......Pal.....?

15. rablack

rablack

Mar 9, 2000
    Houston, Texas
    Oooo that Ed. He's such a meanie. What's that smell?? Ah ... compassion.

Has everyone noticed the new "report this post to a moderator" button? I feel vaguely threatened by it. Well not really. But it's sitting there in every box like a landmine or really more of a tattletale button. Like the kids on the playground are gonna be reporting us to the teacher every time they think we're being mean.

Maybe a moderator from up north can clue us in so we don't get detention.

16. It's childish you say. It may be, but there have been plenty o' chillun down in these here parts and dey all needs a good whippin'.

17. rablack

rablack

Mar 9, 2000
    Houston, Texas
    Agreed. But does this arm the chilluns with some kinda "I'm tellin the moderator nanny nanny boo boo" mojo. Does the moderator then send a note home our parents. I'm pushin' 40 so that seems particularly ineffective.

I agree them chilluns been needin' some whuppin'. Lawsie, you spare de rod you spoil de chile. Mebbe Mista Moderatah Turner kin tells us how big a stick we ken use on dem chilluns afore they calls the law on us.

Like I always says, I likes us to do our own moderating down heyah. Don't need none a dem guvment moderators pokin' they noses in our bidness. Well 'cept when the good Mista Turner come to scurry tha' chilluns home wit his herdin' stick 'fore they hides get too tanned.

18. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    What I'd like to know is, do we get any say about who our moderator is? It would be much better if we knew which "mommy" was being called in when we get "told on". What if our new "moderator" is some guy who has named not only his strap but also each of his picks? Man, that could get hairy....Why don't we all take a vote, or better yet, take advantage of a new forum feature and take a POLL? Personally, I think JT would make a great "mommy", and since we don't need much moderating down here, it shouldn't tax his already busy schedule too much. Hell, if he can remember the names of all the strings on that steroidal canoe paddle of his, he could moderate a buncha teddy bears like us in his sleep.

If we can't get JT, I nominate Ed. Takers, anyone?

P.S. - I know this is off topic, but is the new color scheme (or lack thereof) killing anybody else? I'm seriously considering wearing sunglasses while on the forum in the future if we can't get the darker background back. It was like sooooo much easier to look at...

19. I think there's an appealing perverseness to using the Rosin thread for our off-the-wall but understandable-to-DB postings.
    Anybody else agree?
    As for moderators, I'm agin 'em. The only times a moderator has been needed is when a bunch of BG types decide they are absolutely the hippest, funniest people on earth, and come over to bore us to death. In fact, one of the longer, dumber intrusions involved a former moderator from the BG side and her equally juvenile pals.
    And when things start to get out of hand, seems like JT gets the job done because he has the respect of both sides.
    Bottom line: We don't want no moderators.

20. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    hey Chris F.... press PROFILE at the very top of this page then click EDIT OPTIONS and at the bottom you can change the color scheme. i already put back the "da blues" one.