Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Popular albums that you don't like?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by dancehallclasher, Apr 17, 2002.

1. i don't mean popular as in top 40, i mean popular as in everybody says "this album is so great!"

the reason i ask is because i listened to "moving pictures" by rush the other day, and i couldn't stand it. yyz, tom sawyer, red barchetta, all these songs i've heard people rave about, and i just didn't get it. the weird thing is, i really like 2112.

also, jeff beck's "blow by blow."

2. Back in my Rush-listening days, I always preferred Permanent Waves and Signals to Moving Pictures.

Anyhow, I get bored pretty quickly with Sgt. Pepper's--I much prefer the White Album.

3. I used to be way into Rush, but it seems like when I hit my twenties, I had no use for them anymore. As for the Beatles, as great as Sgt. Pepper's is, I'm like you, more of a White Album man. Much more raw sounding, and the band just being the band without the overproduction. I think Let It Be is a great album too, but that's more sentimental than anything; it's the first Beatles album I ever heard, way back when I was about five or six.

Maybe I'm just getting old, but can someone explain the appeal of the whole Rage Against the System of a KoRn Bizkit thing? These kids today and their crazy rock and roll music.

4. istaticl

istaticl

Nov 29, 2000
    Prescott, AZ
    I don't know about putting Rage agianst the Machine in with a bunch of fudge packers like korn and bizkit and system. That's just wrong. You must have never listened to Rage or else you would have known better. Thats alright. Good times. And I think the appeal of lame bands like the "3" mentioned above is just MTV and its control over young ignorant minds. Just my opinoin.

5. It's cool. I'm not trying to offend anyone, I just don't get a lot of new music. The only Rage Against The Machine I've ever experienced is when the copier breaks at work.

6. Thats what older people said about Elvis.
    Jim

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    All this talk about The Beatles & no mention of Revolver?! That's their best work! ;)

BTW, The Beatles(AKA "The White Album") is quite heavy on production...this album was the true 'sequel' to Sgt. Pepper; George Martin & the boyz were using the studio as an instrument.
    In this period, The Beatles rarely played/wrote together; though a song may list "Lennon/McCartney" as composer...that wasn't really the case. "The White Album" is almost 4 guys working alone; that is, I'm not sure how many of the tunes have all 4 members actually playing on the same track.
    Anyway, IMO, that whole era is heavy on production...that it has that 'rawness' quality is a testament to George Martin(IMO).

BTW, George Harrison's "I'm Not Guilty"(found on the Third Anthology set was the 'beat' damn Beatles' tune NOT to make a record...it got bumped from "The White Album").

Let It Be was the record where The Beatles actually got 'back together' & played as a band(like in the 'old days'). ;)

8. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Anything by Pink Floyd or Mike Oldfield, there are more, but those immediately come to mind.

9. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hi
    i agree with all of the above except system. how can you diss them when they are using cultural beats and scales/modes to create a 'new' sound, they sound nothing like the other fudge packing bands you mentioned. they are bringing something new and exciting to music, if you dont like it, fine, just dont diss them.

DanNowhere, ratm, soad and bands like that are the new rush or beatles. Darron Malakian is my generations ( bad limp bizkit pun there, not intentional ) John Lennon. think about it......'

also, mtv and its control over young ignorant minds, no nothing like that. you only think that, mtv only brings the music out so more people are offered the chance to like it, if i could hear every band before they became famous id probably still like alot of them, when they did hit mtv and stuff id be able to say ' yeah they been around for ages, you should listen to or try this band aswell' and stuff like that. mtv's like a gateway to music, not all good music i agree but it just presents the music to you instead of you having to search for it.

later
    Lukas

10. Professor X

Professor X

Apr 15, 2002
    Motown
    Yeah I agree... I never really got into Floyd...
    Dark side of the what?

11. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    What?!:eek: Floyd ruled!!
    I hated "Frampton Comes Alive". The funny thing about that album is, he sold over 5 million copies, but you can't find ONE person to admit that they have it! :D Also, IMO, except for "Shock Me" and "I like It Loud", everything Kiss have done VACUUMED!
    I also never got into Springsteen.

12. I don't like the new Trail of Dead record.

13. Listening to System of a Down is one of my guilty pleasures. . .they're the only one of the above metal bands I listen to, even though I've never heard anything to make me think they're very proficient players. About the "cultural beats and scales," I'm pretty sure Darron has said people say that too often- it's not like their music is based on Armenian folk songs or something. (I think it was an interview on guitarplayer.com).

14. APouncer

APouncer

Nov 3, 2000
    Lancashire, UK
    A couple of you have used the term "fudge-packers" as an insult; obviously this is displaying homophobia, bigotry and intolerance, are these attitudes connected in any way to the music you listen to?

You should also try and read some Freud, when you repress certain parts of your personality, they can often manifest themselves as intolerance. Don't worry boys (Ashton, istaticl), open your minds, be polite, come out of the closet, put that Barbara Streisand record on and sing!

15. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Isn't this an insult to honest people who work all day packing fudge so that we can eat it!! ;)

I'm sorry, I too loathe homophobia or intolerance of any kind; but this term just makes me laugh! Like "uphill gardener" - I imagine some little old lady who has a "cottage industry" where she makes her own fudge, packs it herself and does a spot of uphill gardening to get exercise at the weekends!

Or should that be cottaging industry! ;)

16. I'm with dancehallclasher and Peter McFerrin on _Moving Pictures_. I hate "Tom Sawyer" and "Limelight" (not just because they're popular - I actually had never heard them before I bought the album *all the way back* in November 2001 when I was getting into Rush... lol... I had probably heard them before but they slipped under my radar becasue they didn't interest me. Yup, still hate 'em.

"Red Barchetta" I don't mind, but it just doesn't do it for me like... say... "Circumstances" or "Something for Nothing"...

"YYZ" is an INCREDIBLE piece of technical wankery, which I totally dig when I'm in the mood for it... which isn't all the time.

For some reason, I find "The Camera Eye" slow and ponderous, while I can listen through all twenty-eight and a half friggin minutes of "Cygnux X-1" and enjoy it...

As for "Witch Hunt" and "Vital Signs", I think they're FANTASTIC. "Witch Hunt" is probably my favourite Rush song, with "Vital Signs" as a close second.

So, typically, I skip through all of _Moving Pictures_ except the last two songs... as an album, it's my least favourite, though I only own/have heard 2112-RTB all the way through.

PoW is my favourite at the moment.

_Sgt. Pepper's..._ is very cool, but I get bored if it pretty quickly as well... White album for me too, please :)

Dire Straits, another favourite band... I don't really like _Brothers in Arms_, give me _Communique_!

--jeff

17. Well said.

Anyway, my turn. I don't like that Sublime album, I forget the name of it, but it's a picture of some guys back on the cover, I can't remember. I also don't particularly like Different Classes by Pulp. Or Kid A by Radiohead. I mean, I think it's ok, but I don't think it begins to compare to OK Computer.

18. [Old geezer voice on]

Hey you kids! Get off the lawn!

[Old geezer voice off]

:D

Please do not compare Rage to Limp Biskit and Korn. I'm not a big fan of Rage, but they really deserve better than being put in that category.

For the love of God, don't compare Elvis to Nu-Metal. :eek:

19. I mean that in the fifties older people hated Elvis, in the sixties older people hated the Beatles, in the 70's older people hated Kiss & Alice Cooper etc. It happenes every generation, theres nothing particularly different about this generations choice in music. We'll hate our kids taste in music too.
    For the record, I personally hate all of that Limp Bizkit Korn nu-metal crap, and about 90% of new stuff.
    Im with Ed. Everyone I listen to has been dead for about 30 years.
    Jim

20. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    KungFu-
    Ya don't like Kind Of Blue?
    Still sells about its fair share a year. ;)

Sixth Sense-
    ...one happenin' album by Don Pullen(RIP) w/ Fred(RIP)Hopkins on bass.
    And the same title by Lee Morgan(RIP)ain't so bad, either.