Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Popular Harmony research..

Discussion in 'Music Theory [DB]' started by Piedro, May 4, 2005.

1. Piedro

Piedro

Jan 23, 2001
    Montréal, Qc, Canada
    Endorsing Aguilar Amp product.
    i was asking me if anyone of you know a site when i can find a kind of "traité d'harmonie" for popular music, i've a paper to make in one of my university course, and the best article i have is made by Philipp Tagg and my teacher give his course based on his work... so.. i must find something about popular harmony, a concept or a research on an artist... like Sting.. i don'T know.. do you have idea for me?

2. pklima

pklima

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Buy a book by dr. Harris Berger called "Metal, Rock & Jazz" or something thereabouts. It includes an analysis of a hair metal song, among lots of other data you may find useful. He's going to be pretty busy for the next two weeks with grading final exams etc. but you could also try to contact him for other recommended material.

3. http://bazantar.com/grid.html. I've been promoting this harmony chart. I'm not sure what popular music is. Are you talking about AM radio or folk music?

4. Piedro

Piedro

Jan 23, 2001
    Montréal, Qc, Canada
    yeah i don't know if we should start to debate on what popular music is...

but from different opinion it is:
    Depending on context, pop music is either an abbreviation of popular music or, more recently, a term for a sub-genre of it.
    The subgenre of pop is perhaps the most widely crowd-pleasing form of all popular music. Some of the defining musical characteristics of the subgenre are the presence of a hook, and production techniques which are somewhat reliant on the musical fashions of the time.
    .. i'll came with more definition another time..

5. I'm not debating definitions, I was just wondering. I think the harmonies in pop kind of go through fads. I know there was one time when everyone was using major sixths. Then it was like they finally discovered the 9th chords. One song will make a hit with a new harmony interval and then a little band wagon gets going. The basic stucture is 1,4,5 stuff.

6. Piedro

Piedro

Jan 23, 2001
    Montréal, Qc, Canada
    ok.. i understand what you want to say.. Thanks..
    but i think it would be interesting to have the definition of different people on popular music.