1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Popular Rock or metal songs played with fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jimmyjames77, Oct 4, 2019.

1. SideshowDom

SideshowDom

Apr 12, 2009
    Salinas, CA
    Anything by Intronaut

jimmyjames77 likes this.
  2. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
  3. Vinny_G

Vinny_G

Dec 1, 2011
    Gallia Celtica
    I didn't know it was possible to have such musicality while being half naked in a field. I'll have to try.

bigsnack, Pauly 4001 and jimmyjames77 like this.
  4. jimmyjames77

jimmyjames77 Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Just West of Chicago
    Someone mentioned fretless guitar earlier. Guthrie Govan is a monster on both fretted and Fretless guitar.

Vinny_G likes this.
  5. And equally great with Marianne Faithfull.

Passinwind likes this.
  6. The mind train

The mind train

Jul 15, 2018
    Wherever I lay my hat by Paul Young, fretless p-bass by Piano Pallatino

7. A lot of people have mentioned Pino, but no one seems to recall his absolute master class on Gary Numan's I, Assasin. Prominent, almost lead fretless bass all the way through. Blew all our minds back in the early 80s and was on constant rotation in my circle (Detroit punks). Granted, it probably doesn't fit the original request for 'hit' music although three singles made the Top 20 chart in the UK. If you love fretless and haven't heard it, you are in for a real treat.

8. The mind train

The mind train

Jul 15, 2018
    Black Velvet by Alannah Myles

9. Fretless Stingray, actually - see below:

Wisebass likes this.
  10. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi The mind train :)

:laugh: Funny typo!

It has been already mentioned on the thread

Not on piano but the song was played on keybords! :roflmao:

greetings

Wise(b)ass

gebass6 likes this.
  11. Lothian

Lothian

Feb 26, 2017
    Look up Tony Franklin (Blue Murder, Whitesnake, etc., etc.). Prepare to be amazed :)

12. Lothian

Lothian

Feb 26, 2017
    A Chapman Stick isn't fretless, though ;-)

13. JerryH

JerryH

Dec 13, 1999
    Helsinki, Finland
    Sean Malone from Cynic - great fretless, but maybe not that popular. I like him though.

gebass6 likes this.
  14. Lothian

Lothian

Feb 26, 2017
    Damn, forgot about this one - epic! Played it for quite some years, only to find out that it was sampled :-(

15. Boitameuh

Boitameuh

Dec 11, 2014
    France
    Already posted ?

16. MovinTarget

MovinTarget

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    Wimbush on "Nothingness" by Living Color:

Bob_Ross and PaulS like this.
  17. tim gueguen

tim gueguen

Sep 19, 2016
    Tony Levin's work with Peter Gabriel has been mentioned, but Larry Klein played the fretless on Gabriel's "Mercy Street."

It's kind of buried, but Mark Egan played fretless on "Election Day" from Duran Duran spinoff Arcadia, which was a top 10 hit on both sides of the Atlantic. He played the bass on the rest of their album So Red The Rose.

Diesel's "Sausalito Summernight" sounds like it might be fretless.

Roxy Music's "Avalon" was a hit in the UK at least, reaching #13, and it sounds like Alan Spenner is playing fretless to me.

I don't think it's been emphasised enough that Bill Wyman was, unless another candidate is found, the first musician to regularly play a fretless bass guitar. It tends to be overlooked because he didn't often play what we'd think of as fretless licks.

barrenelly and Durham52 like this.
  18. True about Bill Wyman. If memory serves his fretless was a cheap Japanese made bass he removed the frets from in 1959. Played it on much, if not all, of The Stones early stuff.

barrenelly and gebass6 like this.
  19. MovinTarget

MovinTarget

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    Always loved this song, the dude playing bass with a bow... not sure if its legit, but I think there is some fretless going on...

Basstard79 likes this.
  20. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    And with Jan Hammer before either of them! And, iirc, with Hamilton Bohannon before Jan Hammer! Fernando Saunders has been rocking the fretless bass since he was like 15 years old.

...which reminds me of another teen phenom fretless (though admittedly, not really rock) player: Ralph Armstrong:

Passinwind likes this.