Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Popular themes...which ones do you quote?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by peteroberts, Nov 5, 2002.

1. Every once in a while, I'll quote something in a solo...I like to use 'popular' melodies...I do 'Green Acres' every once in a while, and 'Third Stone From the Sun'...very, very occasionally I will pull out the riff from 'Day Tripper'. I've thought about using 'The Addams Family'. Our band quotes 'We Want the Funk' in this one song.

Which ditties do you pull out to get a laugh?:D

2. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

In between songs when the guitar players are fumbling about, I do the ditty that FOX sports plays for thier "pop-up" scores when they show up on the screen.

Or, "The Wild Wild West".

3. I usually do the pink panther.. it's pretty cool.

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I used to do Peer Gynt's In The Hall Of The Mountain King back in the metal days.

Sometimes I do some Sesame Street. The theme from the Swedish Pippi Longstocking movies is always a BIG hit with the ladies, especially in alternative venues :D

5. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Inspector Gadget

6. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    flintstones
    barney miller
    gilligan's island

I guess I watch too much TV

7. I constantly play the theme to Beverly hills cop ("Axel F" by walter faltermeyer). it's so great...
    and the pink panther theme

8. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    My drummer and I plan to do the theme from Super Mario Bros. in between songs at least once per show.

9. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    Its Harold Faltermeyer, not Walter...Walter was the far less talented of the two Faltermeyer brothers(although Walter made a KILLING on the internet in the used panties market)!!!:D I like to quote "Giant Steps" by John Coltrane, the Batman theme, and "The Jeffersons" theme.

10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I'm amazed that someone besides me bothered to correct the whole Harold/Walter problem?! AXEL F RULZ!

11. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I used the Simpsons theme in place of the solo in Maxwell Murder once. Went over pretty well, but I prefer the Rancid solo. I play the King of the Hill theme between songs occasionally. I played with a guitar player who always played the theme song on "Mike Tyson's Punch-Out" for the original Nintendo. That was pretty fun.

12. We have a tune that goes into a rather extensive sessio of trading two's (guitarist solos for two bars, I solo for two bars, drummer solos for two bars, and repeat). The guitar player quotes a lot of things during this time--it can get quite hilarious. I quote sparingly, but I'll do the previous mentioned Simpson's theme and "Hall of the Mountain King". I'll also do Satan's Pilgrims version of "Harlem Nocturne", maybe "In The Midnight Hour"... there are others, I'm just drawing a blank. Oh, tonight I did Beethoven's fifth.
    Guitar Player will do Nirvana, "My Sharona", Inspector Gadget, Violent Femmes, surf classics such as "Miserlou", and more.
    Mind you these are all surf instrumental versions of no more than two bars length. It's all great fun.
    This is followed by Guitar Player and I putting down our instruments, grabbing drum sticks, and doing a 3-man drum solo. It's madness, but a whole lotta fun.

13. RedV

RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    Man, I always quote in solos...that's part of the fun:)

I love doing Blister in the Sun, The Simpsons, the circus theme, and things of that sort.

Alex