Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Porcupine Tree - Deadwing

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Lackey, Apr 26, 2005.

1. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Well, it just came out today. I rushed around three different stores trying to find a copy, and I've been listening to it for a while now...

It didn't live up to my expectations. Perhaps their masterpiece In Absentia set the bar a bit too high, but even still, IMO this album does not have an original or exciting flavor. The opening track reminds me of Rammstein for some reason (yikes!), track 2 is more bonehead rock than interesting prog (as are most of the tracks on here unfortunately, IMO), Lazarus is poppy but interesting - pity it's not a real piano being played :confused: . Track 4 is bonehead rock again, and the "culminating masterpiece" Arriving Somewhere But Not Here falls short of the hype. In fact, the only songs that really stand out are track 8 (co-written by drummer Gavin Harrison - might explain why it has by far the most interesting rhythm, despite a very predictible chorus progression), and the "hidden" track Shesmovedon, which is better fare than the rest of it and showcases Harrison's extremely advanced and polished drum chops.

Something about this album doesn't sit right with me, it just sounds "ready for radio", not really progressive or innovative, and the lyrics seem kinda hodge-podged together. 7/10

But hey, maybe I'm being overly negative, or just plain deaf. Please share your comments (if you have any). For any new listeners, PLEASE pick up In Absentia, I feel it's an absolutely stellar art-rock album.

2. I actually like Deadwing even more than In Absentia..will have to listen to it a couple more times to see if it does it for me in the long run..

BTW, have you listened to Dredg - El Ciello? Without a doubt my favourite album in this kind of music.. And their new album (don't know it's name, unfortunately) sounds sooo promising...

3. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I have it on order from Amazon, but i'm not getting it shipped until the new DMB album ships on 10 May....oh the pain of waiting.

4. BostonLowGroove

BostonLowGroove

Apr 30, 2003
    Boston
    I like Deadwing better. I think the bass playing is more interesting. I'm a huge fan of Colin Edwin. The drumming is out of control as well. In Absentia had its moments of self indulgence...many more than Deadwing. The first song reminded me a little of Rush with the huge open chords. 2 and 4 are my favorites so far. Some gave me the live Tori Amos cd the same day so I have been rotating them.

5. Nuk3m

Nuk3m

Sep 18, 2004
    Down Under
    I think PT's music is good but i never seem to get into because it because Steve Wilson is very much a #anker. He seems to be a very good musician, very good audio engineer, but his downfall is his ego and is the reason why i cant enjoy the bands music.

6. bassjamn

bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    I like deadwing, Only listened to it through once so far, but some of the songs came out great live which made me want to buy it.

They put on a good show 2 nights ago here @ the fillmore :bassist:

7. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I bought this album today. Very impressive stuff, my first time hearing this band.

I also saw they had a "surround" version of this album that plays in Dolby 5.1 surround sound or something...It said DVD compatable on the front. Anyone know whats up with this, can you play these in a regular CD player? I didn't buy it cause I plan on listening to it in my car mostly.

8. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Ok, I answered my own ? (this may be old news to some...but new to me) The "Surround" version of this album is a DVD audio disc, not comapatable with normal CD players. It contains more information and utilises multi-channels. So it's really meant to be listened to in a surround sound environment with multiple speakers. Pretty cool.

Here's a link explaining it more if anyone's interested. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/feature/-/170790/103-0216246-0500628

9. ^YOU KICK ASS.
    The vocals aren't as strong as they should be, but not bad.

Anyway, back on topic: Deadwing has some awesome stuff, but I prefer In Absentia myself.
    Deadwing has too much super-mellow songs. Their all good, but I always get really tired when I listen to it.

edit::does anyone know if they have a DVD?

And here's 2 more songs from Google Video:
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6225456301339692300&q=porcupine+tree
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2333173338528599761&q=porcupine+tree

10. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I'll have to check out In Absentia. I prefer the more rockin tunes on Deadwing too.

11. Guest_Deleted

Guest_Deleted Guest

Jul 26, 2006
    On Deadwing they try to narrow it down, alas.
    They've gone through that "catch-them-before-they-gets-too-big" period. Now it seems they're aiming for big time breakthrough.

They have earlier been too eclectic for their own good, said SW, and probably a few of the record companies execs. And they went in for a target audience, like the heavier ones.

If one should check out Ptree, I would recommend in this order, so far.

1. In Absentia (2002)
    2. Lightbulb Sun (2000)
    3. Stupid Dream (1998)
    4. Deadwing (2005)
    5. Signify (1997)

Which are the ONLY ones were they are a full tilt band, playing on every tune, not as hired guns, as on earlier records.
    Steve Wilson did most things on earlier albums. Later "recreations" of earlier albums, they've put some extra drums and bass over it and rereleased it. These five are the ones that has a full band all of the time. In between these releases, they've released at least to live albums, numerous "directors cut" and surplus material, that one really can't keep track of, if you're not a bona fide die hard fan.:D

Agree, Deadwing did not live up to it's expectations, since they've released In Absentia. I liked their eclectic things of the past, moreso than the streamlined heavyness on Deadwing. And yes, it's radio ready for heavy commercial radio stations.

Caveat Emptor: The lyrics can be - sometimes - over the top dark, and moody, gloomy beyond reason. That goes with the overall timbre in their music. They've sure been influenced by the Goth fraternity.:)

But in the end, Deadwing, fares very well compared to other bands in the same genre out there. Their music is very impressionistic, and would be suitable to any kind of dramatic thriller movie.

Of all their releases, you should check out special AUDIO DVD edition of "In Absentia" mixed in 5:1. Heard it at a friends house with monster equipment, and it left me scared, and when it was finished my heart beat double beats! I actually had trouble sleeping that night! No excessive loud volume mind you.

12. Hazza

Hazza

May 19, 2006
    I recommend Voyage 34 and In Absentia.

Is this really necessary? ;)

13. Caeros

Caeros

Jul 24, 2002
    Branford, CT
    Deadwing is still awesome, it hasn't aged as well as I would've hoped, but there are some fantastic tracks on there. Namely "Arriving Somewhere...," "Mellotron Scratch," "The Start of Something Beautiful," and "Deadwing."