1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pore Filling

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Chuck Curtis, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Chuck Curtis

Chuck Curtis

Jan 15, 2006
    I am about ready to finish my first bass and need some advice. The back is black limba. Has anyone had any experience with pore filling black limba? Is so, what did you use. Remember this is my first build and I have no spray equipment. Thanks.

2. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    I have never used black limba, but I have wet sanded stain to fill pores. When the stain is still wet, sand the body and all the "sanding dust" will fill in the pores with the same color. I have great luck with that in other shop projects. No basses.

3. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    If you're not going to spray, then you really don't need to fill the pores.

In any case there are products out there that can/should be applied with a credit card. The filler is then sanded back to bare wood. I wish I had product names for you but many people who do spray apply their pore filler by hand.

4. Wood Ascention

Wood Ascention

Nov 7, 2004
  5. Volk

Volk

Dec 18, 2005
    South Jersey
    I used water based grain filler from stewmac, and not enough of it. You can see feel the grain through the nitro finish on my bass. My only suggestion is that if you're going to grain fill take you time and do it until the grian in completely filled, I expected the vinly sealer to fill a lot more...which it didn't.