Pork and Pickle or Hot Wax?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by 2010P, Mar 24, 2018.

Tags:
  1. 2010P

2010P Inactive

May 13, 2017
    These two seem fairly similar. Both try for two sounds, both have blends, both have decent tone controls. I'm wondering what you would choose if you were deciding between these two and why you would choose it. My personal observation is that the P&P has a deeper overall tone but the Hot Wax seems to have a little more edge and liveliness.

2. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    I settled on the Hot Wax. The Pork side was too subtle in the mix for me and I already have a nice fuzz. I use the hot tubes side for a slight edge then bring in the crayon for a more "tube-screamer" distortion.

3. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    What is the bass retention like? Is it sort of a poor man's Alpha Omega?

4. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    The bass knob at 2o'clock seems like unity to me. It's nothing like the AO. The AO did fantastic distortion, I didn't care for it's mild overdrive. The Hot Wax is more touch sensitive IMO.

zapped777 and socialleper like this.
  5. Johnny Mac

Johnny Mac Riff-finder General Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2005
    Springfield, MA
    If you want the option to stack them, you should go with the Hot Wax. Pork & Pickle can only do one sound at a time.

Beefystick, 2010P and SunnBass like this.
  6. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life.

Aug 31, 2010
    Columbia, Mo
    Exactly what I was going to suggest.
    They really should have called it the Pork OR Pickle.

Now, if we want similar pedals from both companies, maybe the Hot Wax vs. the Camel Toe?

7. 2010P

2010P Inactive

May 13, 2017
    thanks Mac. No, really I only want the option of two sounds. I don't need to stack. But I definitely hear what you're sayin though.

8. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life.

Aug 31, 2010
    Columbia, Mo
    Here's an offering from Way Huge, that can run either separately or in series. But, there's no blend.

9. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 15, 2003
    Vegas
    I like both sides of the Hot Wax individually, but the temptation to stack (since you can with that one) is rewarded with a complete loss of low end.

10. 2010P

2010P Inactive

May 13, 2017
    Thanks. I've read this before. I believe you, but it seems strange that would happen given that it has a blend. You'd think the solid bottom would still be there. I wonder what is happening frequency wise that makes the lows cancel out? I'd probably not really stack them anyhow, since I am mainly impressed with how each one sounds individually. That's why the P&P is in the running....I don't really wish to stack, but rather have two sounds in one pedal.

11. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 15, 2003
    Vegas
    Welp, Crystalman85 has been saying recently that he was able to counter the low-end loss so who knows, maybe I just tried a wonky one =0) And like I said, the two sides of the HW do sound great individually.

12. 2010P

2010P Inactive

May 13, 2017
    Well, after being hipped to the Pork And Pickles clean headroom issue, I just ordered the Hot Wax. 15% off thru the great and wonderful Prymaxe. Got it for $95 shipped. Totally stoked to get it.

13. jcerio

jcerio

Jul 27, 2006
    Syracuse, NY
    I am absolutely and totally enamored with my Hot Wax. Right now I have that, A Green Russian Big Muff, and an Ampeg Scrambler on my board. All the different dirt flavors I could ever want!

14. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    I would personally describe it as the poor man's vintage deluxe. I've purchased one recently and It's actually a great sounding overdrive pedal. the bass retention is pretty good. the blend control and the 2-band eq helps sculpt up a killer bass overdrive sound. personally I favor the crayon side for it's warm and heavy sounds. the hot tubes side is pretty good too. it's just that it's a little bright for my taste. other than that, it's a great overdrive pedal for the price.

15. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    I haven't experience any low-end losses with this pedal. plus I've been using the crayon side a lot. some people say there's low-end losses when using the hot tubes and the crayon. well that's kinda true, but setting the blend control to 9 'o clock should be able to bring back some lows. other than that, engaging the hot tubes and the crayon is quite useful for bass solos. personally, I've been using the hot wax as a stand alone overdrive pedal. if I wanted a heavy distortion, I would get the source audio after shock or the ofd for that. my other choice would be a darkglass alpha omnicron.

16. Beefystick

Beefystick

Feb 4, 2019
    I like how he smiled when he said the name of the pedal