Pork Loin 'Drive Mix' setting question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by basso_profundo, Jan 22, 2018.

Tags:
  1. basso_profundo

basso_profundo

Mar 12, 2012
    Denver, CO
    Just picked up a used 'overdrive' (not 'soft clip injection') PL and am wondering about the internal 'Drive Mix'. How is that different than just turning the 'Overdrive' all the way down and the 'clean' all the way up?

2. Bolsyo

Bolsyo

Oct 18, 2015
    Norway
  3. basso_profundo

basso_profundo

Mar 12, 2012
    Denver, CO
    Got that part...but how is it different than just turning the Overdrive all the way down and the Clean all the way up?

4. 254 stringer

254 stringer Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Waco Texas
    Because it still mixing the two channels. Sort of like how with tube screamer type pedals if you run the drive all the way off you’re still getting the mid hump when the pedal is engaged. With the drive knob all the way down on the PL you’re still going through the drive section and whatever baked in EQ. With the drive mix knob you can eliminate all of the drive side and only have the clean preamp.

5. basso_profundo

basso_profundo

Mar 12, 2012
    Denver, CO
    Ah - so turning the overdrive down all the way just changes a setting on that signal path, whereas the Drive Mix can dial out that signal path altogether. I'll have to go listen to both and see how much difference taking out the overdrive signal path versus just turning the overdrive down makes...although I do really like the OD/preamp signals together...

6. zapped777

zapped777

Jul 6, 2011
    Let's hear what your findings are... I have been toying with using mine as a clean pre as well!

7. basso_profundo

basso_profundo

Mar 12, 2012
    Denver, CO
    Alrighty - I've been testing different settings and there's definitely a difference between Overdrive just turned down versus shutting the signal completely off via the Drive Mix. With the Overdrive down but the Drive Mix running both signals, the 'curve' control still affects the tone. There's no fuzz or breakup, but it sounds more aggressive and darker. With the Drive Mix all the way on the clean signal, it just sounds like a sweet/warm preamp.

The Drive Mix all the way on clean is actually a great way to test the internal Filter - which I futzed around with and like the factory default. Turning away from the default takes out the highs and seems to boost the mid lows.

The internal Presence is pretty subtle, I'm guessing tuned more for the guitar than pass.

Anyway, the 100% clean signal is amazing. Makes me think I should either keep it like that w/no overdrive signal...I really like transparent soft clipping OD but that clean channel is great on it's own.

Wonder what other preamps have a similar kind of clean tone?

zapped777 likes this.
  8. basso_profundo

basso_profundo

Mar 12, 2012
    Denver, CO
    Actually - with the Overdrive off but the Drive Mix at factory, you can still get a slight OD/buzz if you turn 'curve' counter-clockwise (via headphones).

zapped777 likes this.
  9. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Ive just got a PL, I didn’t even know about these until a few days ago. I was going to get a DG Ao but I took a shot with this. I took it straight to rehearsals and had it on all night. I’m running it as warming dirt after my BDDI.
    Just wondering is anyone has replaced a BDDI with a PL as a clean pre amp tone. I must admit i haven't opened mine up yet, and i know about the mod, but as it stands i love the subtle dirt it does and really fills my tone out in a warm but clear way. If i could find a way to replace my BDDI with it i will also look in to the new Pork and Pickle.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
    zapped777 likes this.
  10. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    I just opened my PL up. The cap is the old one, so ill get the changed as and when i can be bothered. I played around with the trim pots, using my P bass and headphones (in to a Zoom B3n in bypass mode). im actually going to stick with the factory defaults.
    What with my on board preamp in my Sire bass, my BDDI, and of course the preamp in my amp, im going to keep things the way they we're and use it as an OD along with my BDDI. The BDDI still sounds better as a clean pre amp to my ears, especially as it has more EQ options.
    I do see me getting a Pork and Pickle very soon though. Then i may use the PL as a clean preamp and get rid of the BDDI.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021