Pork Soda Techniques

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Petary791, Mar 22, 2005.

1. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I know for this album he uses the famous "Rainbow Bass" which is a fretless. If you listen to songs like "Welcome to this World" or "My Name is Mud" you can hear a cool sounding click for every note he hits. Is this because he plays a fretless? If not, how does he get this sound? Also, you listen to DMV which is tap-tastic, then Welcome to This World which is slap-tastic, then Bob which is mwah-tastic, and this is all on the same bass. How does he get a huge varied sound?

And one more question just for giggles, what is that insane sounding distortion he uses in "Fish On" on "Sailing the Seas of Cheese?" When he hits that note, it sounds like a friggin bus just crashed into a cement wall. :eyebrow:
  2. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Well, while this is likely not the answer your looking for, its technique that changes his sounds. Les always sounds like Les, not matter what bass he's playing and can likely attain a tone approaching just about anything he likes with any bass.

While its become cliche to some degree, tone is in the hands in a lot of cases.
  3. The clicking sounds you are hearing are the strings hitting the end of the fretboard or hitting the pickups most likely.
  4. Roberto

Dec 24, 2004
    The clicks you hear in Mud is a lefthand mute/hammer before the 2 muted slaps. I use my lower arm to mute the B. Mostly bridge pup if you ask me.
  5. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Yeah I know how he does that, I saw it on "Animals Should Not Act Like People." :)

Thanks guys. :hyper: