Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Port Wars

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rickbass, Nov 22, 2000.

1. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

"...Again, port placement is irrelevant to system performance...." Acme

"...placement of the ports is critical to the tuning of the box...." Scott Malandrone, Bass Player Magazine.

Theoretically, infinite baffle Ampegs shouldn't sound so good.
    :confused:
    What are your views on ports ?

2. Rockinjc

Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    Michigan
    Any thing by Dow is ok with me, but I prefer a Tawny.

Though from the wrong continent, you might want to check out the offerings from Rosemont. I love their Cab/Sav.

Oops Wrong Board!

I don't want to become a cabinet designer, but a rear port allows for the smallest box. Call me Lazy!

There are so many variables involved, it should not be an overriding factor IMHO.

Will a port make a bad bass/Amp/player/cone sound good? Nope. Well perhaps if you drink enough the other kind of port, you will think you sound better.

jc.

3. b30307

b30307

Nov 18, 2000
    Whew ! , whole books are written about this .
    I'm a little confused by the Acme quote , maybe they were talking about a specific cab of theirs . Their stuff IS
    designed to work a little differently .
    I do know that improperly made and ported cabs can cause real damage to the raw speaker and the amp also. Evil "standing waves" and such . Found this out one gig with a pair of borrowed home-made PA bass bins .
    Generally , the port is s'pose to reproduce the lowest octave of bass , (rather than the raw speaker ). This also
    makes cabs more "efficient" than sealed box types ,(infinite baffle).
    Rear ported cabs can be made smaller , BUT unless the cab is just the right distance from the back stage wall
    you'll lose that air movement from the port . Ideally the air will bounce off the back wall reflecting towards the front of stage . Thus making a glorious air -ocean of BOOM . In the real world tho' ....
    I prefer front ports cause the air is pushing the same direction as your raw speakers . More consistent sound
    from stage-to-stage , I can predict it ; mostly .

4. Acme may be talking theoretically, in an infinite space. They do that more often that they're willing to admit. In my opinion, front ported is best sounding, because it'll give you more "stage-to-stage" consistency. On some stages, you stand with your back against the wall, or you'll fall off, on other ones you got 30 feet behind you. Sound a tiny-weeny bit different (now there's an understatement).

Ports are also described as phase reverse ports, they reverse the phase of the speaker's movement. It appear eminent that the port be placed in the front, because from the back you'll get more phase shift (sound has to travel around the box first), and thus another behaviour of the whole cabinet. When seen right in the face, of course. If you're standing BEHIND your cabs, you're asking for trouble. :D:D:D