Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"porta cab"????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dr_love2112, Jul 26, 2005.

1. dr_love2112

dr_love2112

May 28, 2005
    baytown texas
    i want to make a portable cabinet for my head (4x10 gets heavy and wont fit real well in a convertable camero) i was thinking a 4 ohm 1x10 but should i go larger, 1x12, 1x15????

im going to be running a gk backline 600 into it and it will just be for at my moms house, so no gigging.

2. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    Well since it's just for your personal enjoyment it's all a matter of personal taste in tone and how much your Mom will put up with.

3. Certainly Doable- I'm currently working on a small protable 1x12" that I can transport around to rehersals, jams etc... On Public Transport, size wise it's pretty small and according to WinSID Pro it should work out pretty swell using SBB4 alignment. There is loads of speaker building articals about- all offer some advice...

However if speaker building seems to daunting, checkout some of the bass cabinet manufactures 112's or 115's places like AvatarSpeakers.com make some great cabs for hell cheap. Should be enough for pracice- people even gig with them, I'd owna few but they are unavailable in Australia....

I'd steer clear of cehapass stuff, like small cheap combo's and the like- they just wont do.

4. dr_love2112

dr_love2112

May 28, 2005
    baytown texas
    well im looking for something about 20inches by 20 inches at the most and under 15 lbs but im gonna stick a eminecene delta 10 in it. if i want to add a tweeter what do i need to do to keep it all a 4 ohms. where do i find a crossover

5. Yuck.

Try a single B102 instead.

Link to B102 in SBB4

6. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Musician's Friend is blowing out Ampeg Portabass 10 cabs for $200; I think those are 4 ohms.

7. dr_love2112

dr_love2112

May 28, 2005
    baytown texas
    the ampegs are just a little bit too muddy for me, plus it only handles 200 watts i want something atleast 350. why??? so i cant have headroom and it makes me feel better.