1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Portabass 250?? Anyone have exp. with it?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rooney, May 8, 2006.

1. Rooney

Rooney

Jan 5, 2006
    Kenton, Oh
    Wondering if it's enough for rehearsal/gigs?

Did a search, but didn't find it mentioned.

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
  3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I have a Portabass 228 and I'm in love. The thing has two hundred watts and it barely feels heavier than a briefcase! For a player like me, who needs some volume, but does not play for money or often, the Portabass series are perfect. Mine is a 2x8 with ports, and it has fantastic booty and lots of definition and clarity.

4. do they colour your sound like an ampeg, or is it a cleaner sound? i've been checking them out too

5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    To my ears, it sounds clean.

6. that;s what i like to hear :) they're not being made anymore are they? it was replaced with a higher powered one if i'm not mistaken.

7. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I suspect that the Yamaha BBT500 head @ $399 is a better deal right now for a light weight head with lots of options, but that's just my opinion...

8. Rooney

Rooney

Jan 5, 2006
    Kenton, Oh
    Thanks all. I ended up going with the BA500 instead. I came into some money and this stuff was half off of list. So I figured if I'm ever gonna get some decent gear, I'd better jump now.

thanks for the replies.

I love the BA500 too.:hyper:

Will be playin it out tonight. So the guitar player had better watch his manners when it comes to stage volume.:p