Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by phunky345, Oct 19, 2000.

1. phunky345

Jun 20, 2000
    Missoula, MT
    How do you guys carry your half stacks and stack systems around? I have a lightweight rig(100 lbs total) but it's still a pain in the ass to lug across town. Does anyone use a dolly or anything? Advice please!!! My back has started to pop!
  2. Phunky, get some wheels on your cabinet if you can, that'll help. My cab weighs 98 pounds but with the wheels, I'm able to roll it most of the time. When you do have to pick heavy stuff up, crouch all the way down like a baseball catcher, then lift as you're standing up so your legs do the work. I also do exercises at the gym to strengthen my back. And sometimes, I just ask for help carrying something!
  3. Rock 'n' Roller Super Cart here. I can load all my stuff on it at once (it's rated at 500# capacity) and not have to make multiple trips. Mine is the R10 MAX model.

4. I use a Ruxxac folding hand truck. It carries 300lbs, travels up and down stairs and folds down flat enough to fit under the seat in a van. You can see it at :
    http://www.club-bass.com under accesories. It is one of the best investments I've made.
  5. Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    I use my drummer!;):D
  6. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I've got an Eden D410XLT that I use for every gig and every rehearsal.It fits in the back seat of my car and is not "that" heavy ( and I'm a LOT older than you). I must say though that the wheels are absolutely mandatory.
  7. phunky345

Jun 20, 2000
    Missoula, MT
    Hey wow, that ruxxac thing is cool! I need one, especially if I get another cabinet. Thank you everyone!
  8. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Made a dolley for my stuff. Whole thing cost me under 20 beans -- a little scrap lumber, a carpet scrap, some heavy-duty wheels and bolts, and a can of cheap flat black spray paint.
  9. That Ruxxac looks really cool, I gotta see if I can get one in TX. All my big cabs have wheels and I use an inexpensive convertable hand truck/dolly for other stuff. Most of my gigs are small so I take my PolyTone and use an old snare drum case for everything else plus an amp stand and music stand in one trip.
  10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I just buy smaller, lighter cabs - EA cabs are the ultimate in portability (but are still very high quality ) and fit in my car very easily. I have had back problems in the past and couldn't move for 4 months once; so now I always make sure that I only buy cabs that I can lift easily.
  11. I think removeable wheels are ok on regular surfaces and can be used to facilitate minor position changes of the cabinet on stage, but the problem is that most of the removeable ones are simply too small in diameter and too hard in composition. They don't roll over surface irregularities well at all. They also have a habit of falling out when you lift the cabinet or roll over irregularities... I've had the experience more than once that I find myself suddenly rolling a THREE wheeled cabinet.

I bought this wonderful cart called a "Rock & Roller Super Cart", the most heavy-duty model of five the company makes. The model I have is the "RR-10". It has TEN inch pneumatic tires in the back and five inch casters in the front. It can be configured as a hand truck or flatbed truck, and collapses to a size that's manageable in my Honda Accord.

I can load my Epifani T-310 and T-212 cabinets, 4 space amp rack, SKB briefcase fulla junk, mic stand, guitar stand, and 3 basses all on that thing at the same time, and with four $2.00 black rubber bungie cords, the whole load is very stable. If you roll it with the 10" rear tires forward and the steerable 5" casters (with brakes) in the rear, it rolls effortlessly over fairly large pavement irregularities and you can even climb curbs with it. In its "hand truck" mode it climbs stairs quite well too.

One big advantage as I see it is in being able to keep all your stuff with you. If some shady character happens to be watching while you're unloading or loading and making multiple trips back and forth, they can take the opportunity to rip you off from the stage while you're at the car, or visa versa. Hauling it all in one load lets you stay with your stuff. I like that.

It wasn't cheap... about $170 out the door including tax, but after borrowing it for a gig and using it just once our pedal steel player bought one too... (he has a bigger load of crap to move than I do).

It's the best thing I've found for moving musical equipment.
  12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

It may be a question of where you live, but I don't find any wheeled appliance (apart from my car) is any use, because the gigs always seem to be upstairs or downstairs and in the end this is the hardest bit and just means having to lift the stuff, so the only way is to go for the lightest, most portable components and make several journeys.

I know we don't have quite so much crime as in the US, but even so I never find this a problem. Maybe because my main band has 13 people, so even if they aren't prepared to lift anything (believe it!) there is always someone around to look out for the stuff.