Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Portable 8x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rockbobmel, Aug 15, 2002.

1. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I hear that nothing sounds like an Ampeg 8-10 cabinet with the 70s SVT head. Never tried one, but was just thinking, maybe if you take the overall dimensions of an old box 8-10 SVT cab, divide it by 4, add 3/4" for the three more new sides and make 4 separate sealed boxes that were 16 ohms each (2-8ohm in series 10s). The just daisy chain them all together for a 4 ohm load. The original SVT cab has 4 sealed separate compartments anyway.

There's a lot of talk about the weight of the 8-10, over 160lbs?
    If this worked,it would solve the portability problem.

2. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    What you need is 4 2x10's :D

3. isn't that an Oxymoron :D

*Si*

4. In a word, yes.

The tone comes from the specific drivers combined in sealed boxes. The sealed box provides the tightest bass, but cuts off the low end response.

Mutual coupling occurs between the drivers because they are all within 1/4" wavelength of each other at the lowest frequencies. As long as you keep the boxes stacked, you will continue to get this benefit.

You will spend more money to fabricate individual boxes (carpet, wood, grille), but it will be MUCH easier to move about. My rig is built the same way... separate 1x15 subs and 1x10 highs. Lots of cabs, but easy for one guy with a hand truck.

My first thought would be to place these into 4 sets of 2x10 cabs. The Ampeg SVT-810AV measures 11.6 cubic feet external volume, so I'll guess at 2.9 cubic feet external volume for one 2x10 cab. Using the stock 26W x 16D inches external measurements, this would mean a 12" external height. Stacked, this would be slightly taller than the stock 48" height, due to rubber feet, etc.

Sealed boxes are very forgiving and easy to build. Put handles on the sides for easy moving, and they won't interfere with vertical stacking. You can run 4 high, or a pair of 2 high. Depending on how you wire them, and your amp, you can choose to take a "half-stack" to smaller gigs, or the full blown rig to large gigs.

Before you got to ALL this work, be very sure this is the sound you want.

5. Rockbobmel

Thanks Bruce,
    That's just what I was looking for. Bob.

6. Rockbobmel

I forgot to ask, will the lower end Eminence drivers do? I'm using a 1971 SVT head. I didn't look at them yet. Thanks

7. fatrhino

fatrhino

Jan 2, 2000
    the SWR working mans series 8x10 is probably the most portable 8x10 i've ever seen. Only 110 lbs. But I do not dig the sound. The Nemesis 8x10 is about the same size 10 lbs lighter and, in my opinion, sounds beautiful.

8. No.

You will have to use the original drivers and enclose them in the same volume, to get that same sound.

9. You could get a rhodie.:D Just another alternative.

10. Portable 8x10? I never thought I'd ever hear those words together...

11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

LMAO! He said 'Portable 8x10'!!!:D:D:D