Portable Ampage

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bassline_Delux, Dec 27, 2004.

1. Hey. I've been playing for a while now,and been on here reading and posting, but I'm not here for advice on my playing. I'm here cause I'm looking for adive on what to get. What I want is a little portable thing that I can plug into my bass, then plug some headphones into it, and listen to myself playing. So a little portable mini amp thing. Do they exist?
  2. how small are you thinking? you could get a little 15 or 20 watt practice amp. I have a peavey microbass with a headphone jack that works fine...but you may be looking for something smaller.
  3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    yes, there are a few good headphone amps out these days. I think fodera makes one. IME, having good headphones makes all the difference in the world when using one of these. You don't have to go nuts on buying the most expensive ones out there. I've used a pair of AKG K240's for about 12 years and they get the job done.
  4. Yeah, that fodera is kinda what I'm looking for except that I live in th UK and more importantly it costs more than my rent.

I've seen these little amps for like 50bucks, but for guitar 'smokey amps' i think they're called. I can go up to liek 100 I guess if I have to, but I'm not recording with this or anyhting, its just for when I really can't make any noise.
  5. Warwick player

Warwick player

Dec 31, 2002
    Bucks, UK
    If your interested in learning a bit about electronics as well, Maplin make a little guitar headphone amplifier.

Its about £25 and is in a kit form, so if you got a soldering iron (which i think everyone should have) then your set.

It has an input in for or phono as well as a line out in phono, and has a 3.5 mm jack socket on the front pannel, run off a PP3 battery and has a volume as tonal control. Comes with box and everything all you need is the knobs and the correct leads and your sorted.

6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Walter Harley posts the schematic for his Cafe' Walter headphone amp (available from Bass NW) on his website

There are amp modelers like the Behringer Bass V-amp that will serve as amp modeling preamp, headphone amp, effects box, etc. The Bass V-amp also has an aux input so that you can play along with another person or pre-recorded music.

There are lots of products out there that you can choose from.
  7. Thanks for the replies guys. I?m doing Mechatronics in uni, so I know a little about electronics, but I'm not sure I trust myself with the elctronics of my tone :) But hey, would the maplin have a decent sound (By decent I my audible and defined, oh yeah, perhaps low B issues?)
  8. Warwick player

Warwick player

Dec 31, 2002
    Bucks, UK
    It has a decent out put into the headphones, though i don't know how well it would handle the low B on your bass.

It is designed for guitars but with my bass it works fine, its a groovey little box and it doesn't disturb anybody when you want to play late at night! :D

And for £25 it ain't bad!
  9. I've enjoyed using this thing. http://www.pocketrockit.com/products_pr_bass.html it isn't the best sound (a bit of hiss), but it gets the job done with minimal cables/bulk. I use the guitar version, and it has a line input so you can hook up a cd player or a metronome and practice in your headphones.
  10. Great help :) But I went to the maplin.co.uk and I couldn't find it. Whats it called?
  11. I have a suggestion for you. You might consider the Tascom CD BT-1 bass trainer. Not only will you get the ability to play through headphones but best of all you will get a really remakable training aid. This thing is fantastic in helping learn songs and if you just want to listen to a CD you can do that to. I would suggest that you get the AC power supply adapter as battery life when runnint a CD is quite short.
  12. Hey man, the Tascam CD BT1 looks like an option. It's not quite what I was looking for, but it looks quite useful as a learning tool indeed. Any other suggestions along the lines of the fodera one?
  13. They just came out with somthing called a JamPlug.
    www.jamPlug.com I haven't tried it but it looks cool. I have used the Rocket Pocket and it really works very well. The sound is good enough for what it does and the battery lasts a long time. I still would recomend the CD BT-1 in addition to what ever your dcision is.
  14. Warwick player

Warwick player

Dec 31, 2002
    Bucks, UK
    Hey Bassline,
    Just tried the Maplin.co.uk, your right can't find it. Bear in mind i bought this over a year ago.

I dug out the old catalogue with it in and some of the details.

Order Code: VY35Q
    Product Name: Guitar Hdphone+Preamp
    Price: 24.99 inc. VAT

It's a Velleman Kit do I don't know whether you would have more luck at there website. There is a number on the PCB if its any good or not I don't know (P4102'1)

Good luck!