1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Portable Bass Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by elbajista1983, Sep 29, 2009.

1. elbajista1983

elbajista1983

Sep 22, 2009
    Houston, TX
    I want a small battery powered bass amp to take to the park with my bass on my relax days. I cant afford the Pignoses or Roland Cubes. I was wondering if anyone has use one of those Marshall mini portable guitar amps? Do they work with a bass, loud enough and clear enough just for practice? Any recommendations? Something under 75 bucks if poss. Thanks!

-Ed :bassist:

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Only thing in that price range would be a headphone amp. Nothing with actual speakers. And no, those tiny (toy-like) guitar amps would be destroyed by bass frequencies.

3. wizay

wizay

Mar 5, 2008
    Norway
    vox amplug + headphones. Or something

4. kittyboy

kittyboy Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    +1 for phones. better sound and you won't have to worry about bothering anybody...

5. Danho

Danho

Mar 2, 2005
    Columbus Ohio
    I still use my crazy Dragonfly/stethoscope headphones. They have their faults, but have seriously cleaned up some sloppy left hand technique!

6. Try the Roland Cube Street. Retails for about 300, which isn't bad. You can sling it over a shoulder and carry it through rain if you get the store to throw in a carry bag - thing takes six AAs and can handle a bass pretty darn well, actually. Even cranked to 11, it won't blow - I've had a guy do it on mine.

If 300 is steep for you, I advise saving for it. It's worth the investment if you need something portable on a regular basis - good sound, light and small, LOUD, and can also take a second instrument/microphone.