Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

portable but mighty

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by bassdivo, Mar 20, 2003.

1. I'll be moving to New York in a few months (hopefully) and I am trying to find out what equipment I will need in order to get around the city efficiently with a Double Bass. I've heard a lot about the gaines bass wheel and I saw a bunch of them when I visited. Is that the best product? I also want to know what sort of amplification systems are used. I want something that can be carried onto the train along with my axe. It MUST be able to replicate my non-amped tone with a realist PU.

2. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Best option is all acoustic, and seems to be done a lot in the smaller clubs.

Second for me would be a good mic into the house PA if they have it, and don't worry about the Realist or amp.

I'm really liking the Schertler Pub 2/280 powered speaker. You would need a good preamp with an XLR out. Very portable, especially with a little luggage dolly.

Second amp choice for me would be the Acoustic Image Contra. Very light, great sound. Saw quite a few when I was in NYC. May need to cut the bass a lot for the Realist.

Mont

3. Dead Kumqua(t),

My auditions went really well, I have been admitted to both schools and the scholarship situation is still pending. I truly appreciated your goodwill towards me in New York. I don't know many people at your level who would invited some kid to a jam session sight unseen (sound unheard?). I enjoyed playing with you guys a lot and I look forward to seeing you when I make the BIG MOVE.