portable but mighty

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by bassdivo, Mar 20, 2003.

1. I'll be moving to New York in a few months (hopefully) and I am trying to find out what equipment I will need in order to get around the city efficiently with a Double Bass. I've heard a lot about the gaines bass wheel and I saw a bunch of them when I visited. Is that the best product? I also want to know what sort of amplification systems are used. I want something that can be carried onto the train along with my axe. It MUST be able to replicate my non-amped tone with a realist PU.
  2. Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Best option is all acoustic, and seems to be done a lot in the smaller clubs.

Second for me would be a good mic into the house PA if they have it, and don't worry about the Realist or amp.

I'm really liking the Schertler Pub 2/280 powered speaker. You would need a good preamp with an XLR out. Very portable, especially with a little luggage dolly.

Second amp choice for me would be the Acoustic Image Contra. Very light, great sound. Saw quite a few when I was in NYC. May need to cut the bass a lot for the Realist.

3. Dead Kumqua(t),

My auditions went really well, I have been admitted to both schools and the scholarship situation is still pending. I truly appreciated your goodwill towards me in New York. I don't know many people at your level who would invited some kid to a jam session sight unseen (sound unheard?). I enjoyed playing with you guys a lot and I look forward to seeing you when I make the BIG MOVE.