Portable cab setup for Ampeg SVT3PRO

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by naughtry, Jan 31, 2004.

1. naughtry

Jan 31, 2004
    NYC / D.C.
    Hey everyone I could use some advice on cab choice to go with the Ampeg SVT3PRO I think I'm going to buy.

I need a portable/modular rig because right now I have to haul my rig up/down cramped stairs alot. I was thinking a 1x15 and 2x10 would work but don't know the specific Ampeg models I should go for.

Also, I only got the money for the head and one cab right now so I will be adding the second one later. So, 1x15 or 2x10 first? I was thinking the 1x15 would be best but am not real knowledgeable about this kinda thing.

I play a passive American Jazz, and musically kinda of like Fugazi mixed with RHCP (minus the the slap/pop) so driving and agressive but also mellower at times.
  2. I think that SWR makes a cabinet with a 10", a 15" and a horn. May be a good compromise.
  3. rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    I. too have an SVT III Pro. Mine has now been relegated to studio/rehearsal work. I still love the thing. I have two pair of the Aguilar GS112 cabinets. One pair stays at the house, the other pair lives in the studio. I previously had a 410/115 stack for both gigs and practice. I have found the GS 112s have provide me the volume (and how!) plus better tone than I had gotten from my previous set up.
  4. naughtry

Jan 31, 2004
    NYC / D.C.
    Thanks for the responses so far although I'm pretty set on getting a Ampeg cab and was hoping for some advice on those. Please, anyone? I've been playing the same combo I bought when I started bass 7 years ago so I really am unexperienced with amps/cabs.

What about the SVT-210HE and then adding on the SVT-15E. I never hear of people using just the 210HE so am unsure if this is a wise decision. Would the 210HE/SVTPro cut it for band practice? For reference I'm maxing out a Peavey TNT115BW right now.
  5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I think this will be a nice set up for you. Your instinct on getting the 115 1st is, IMO, a good idea.

Also, Ampeg makes a 212 cab. The PB 212H. It has a "Removable Telescoping Dolly Style Handle with Wheels["
    The only bad thing about this can is that it;s a 4 ohm cab & you can;t use another cab with the SVT-IIIPRO

6. naughtry

Jan 31, 2004
    NYC / D.C.
    Looks like I'll go with the SVT-15E since I would like to be able to expand my set up if needed . Found a good price too so should have my new rig soon. Thanks for the assistance. Later.
  7. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    i second ampeg's portable series ;).