Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Portable cab setup for Ampeg SVT3PRO

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by naughtry, Jan 31, 2004.

1. naughtry

naughtry

Jan 31, 2004
    NYC / D.C.
    Hey everyone I could use some advice on cab choice to go with the Ampeg SVT3PRO I think I'm going to buy.

I need a portable/modular rig because right now I have to haul my rig up/down cramped stairs alot. I was thinking a 1x15 and 2x10 would work but don't know the specific Ampeg models I should go for.

Also, I only got the money for the head and one cab right now so I will be adding the second one later. So, 1x15 or 2x10 first? I was thinking the 1x15 would be best but am not real knowledgeable about this kinda thing.

I play a passive American Jazz, and musically kinda of like Fugazi mixed with RHCP (minus the the slap/pop) so driving and agressive but also mellower at times.

2. I think that SWR makes a cabinet with a 10", a 15" and a horn. May be a good compromise.

3. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    I. too have an SVT III Pro. Mine has now been relegated to studio/rehearsal work. I still love the thing. I have two pair of the Aguilar GS112 cabinets. One pair stays at the house, the other pair lives in the studio. I previously had a 410/115 stack for both gigs and practice. I have found the GS 112s have provide me the volume (and how!) plus better tone than I had gotten from my previous set up.

4. naughtry

naughtry

Jan 31, 2004
    NYC / D.C.
    Thanks for the responses so far although I'm pretty set on getting a Ampeg cab and was hoping for some advice on those. Please, anyone? I've been playing the same combo I bought when I started bass 7 years ago so I really am unexperienced with amps/cabs.

What about the SVT-210HE and then adding on the SVT-15E. I never hear of people using just the 210HE so am unsure if this is a wise decision. Would the 210HE/SVTPro cut it for band practice? For reference I'm maxing out a Peavey TNT115BW right now.

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I think this will be a nice set up for you. Your instinct on getting the 115 1st is, IMO, a good idea.

Also, Ampeg makes a 212 cab. The PB 212H. It has a "Removable Telescoping Dolly Style Handle with Wheels["
    The only bad thing about this can is that it;s a 4 ohm cab & you can;t use another cab with the SVT-IIIPRO

[​IMG]

6. naughtry

naughtry

Jan 31, 2004
    NYC / D.C.
    Looks like I'll go with the SVT-15E since I would like to be able to expand my set up if needed . Found a good price too so should have my new rig soon. Thanks for the assistance. Later.

7. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    i second ampeg's portable series ;).